Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Big Red Contortions

Dave Rothwell

If anyone can help I'll be most grateful,

K series SL 1999.

I've just cut the dash and fitted the Big Red switch and soldered some leads on.

Peering down the footwell the back of the key ignition switch looks to have some sort of plastic cover over the terminals that the wiring disappears into through a central hole.

Does this cover just flick off or is it screwed on etc.

It looks a real sod to see the rear of the switch when the cover is off without some way of crawling down the footwell. perhaps some form of mission impossible trapeze thing suspended from the ceiling.

Once the cover is off which wire goes to the starter motor ( the white/red ?).

Is the spare terminal ( I believe to be on the back of the key switch m) live once the key is on, ie I could use it to one side of the big red and the other side of the big red to the white/red ? to the starter circuit.

I want the big red to be inactive until the key in the barrel is turned to first position.

many thanks if you can help - I believe Tony C is a bit of a whizz with this.

Cheers Dave.

Who needs a Helmet - Get an Affro !

Clickhere to see Car and AFFRO !

Member 6790

Superlight 0075 - K7 LYT

Edited by - Dave Rothwell on 5 Feb 2003 13:48:39

Hi Dave,

the black plastic cover should slide off with a bit of convincement.

The starter solenoid is the white/red and the spare terminal on the barrel should give you 12v on the first key position.

It is hard to see behind the dash, I removed the steering wheel (quick out! 😬) so it is more accessable.

Have fun

Klaus

1700+ X-flow

Combustion is not a secret

Just fitted a Big Red and there is a thread I started a few days ago on the topic. With respect to access, I took the steering wheel off and the whole ignition bit off the steering column. It was then very easy to get the wires connected.

Ade *smile*

Make the world a better place, hug an estate agent

I fitted the aircraft style combined ignition/starter switch a few days ago - works great. My wife spotted it today and asked me why I had a "little red stapler" on the dashboard!!!!!!

I told her it was for stapling the lips of those who ask dumb questions!!!!!!!!!

Dave - you are correct in your assumption of how to wire it up (if you keep the ign switch) using the spare terminal etc.

Chris

1.8K SV 140hp V11CPW Ruby Red with Silver nose and stripe

Chris, Ade, Klaus,

Many thanks for your posts.

Fitted the wiring last night A-OK.

Nice one. I took your advice the wheel is Q/R anyway and I took off the key ignition switch. Luckily the shear bolts still had the heads on.

Chris just for info - where did you get your red stapler switch from ?

Regards,

Dave.

From Demon Tweeks 01978 66 44 66 www.demon-tweeks.co.uk

On their website they only show the "stapler switch" mounted on a garish panel witha starter button. However they do sell the switch separately in two versions

(i) a simple on/off for use with a separate red button like you have @ about £16 + a couple of £'s postage

(ii) a combined ignition switch and starter ie: OFF/ON (middle position)/START(sprung end position) @ £30.93 inc VAT and postage. I bought the latter, part no. LON 4549

The service was excellent... I rang and spoke to a guy called Dave Kimberley about lunchtime one day and it was delivered in the next morning's mail! Dave knew exactly what I was looking for so suggest you ask for him when you call.

rgds

Chris

1.8K SV 140hp V11CPW Ruby Red with Silver nose and stripe