Click here if you are having website access problems ×

R40 OSM at caterham South. Anyone know it?

Sallen43

Been looking at R40 OSM at caterham South.its been for sale for a while. It used to be cadbury's purple but now grey. Any one know the history? Owners? Opinions? Going to test drive tomorrow. Can't understand why it's been for sale for so long?

any tips?

Ask Ian Payne of PT Sports Cars, they had it in stock for a while after a dealer failed to move it on. I think CC had if off PT (but I don't profess to know the ins and outs of the deal).

I'm not sure if Ian is on here much these days but he is on the C&L7OG Facebook page, might be worth asking him direct? 

I've driven it and was all set to buy it until it was trumped by the car that I ended up with.

I'm far from a Caterham expert, but it seemed like a great car to me. Apparently the respray came about because the owner was told "nobody will want to buy a purple Caterham", so he paid a Ferrari bodyshop to paint it Ferrari grey! 

Good luck and enjoy!

I was looking for my dream car but was seriously let down. Considering it was supposed to be fresh paint it had a spider crack on top of both rear arches, paint chip on the passenger sill. I found three rivets and an M5 bolt in the boot, the boot poppers were loose, the drivers side panel on the inside rattled like a ten year old car, there was also no paint on the top of that panel it was also wavier than a north shore swell. On start up the nose cone rattled like it wasn't done up (was rattling on the radiator). On test the brake pedal needed pressing down instead of forwards to activate and the steering wheel wasn't put on straight. When we got back the clocks had an electrical tiz and stopped at 5000rpm and 50mph! The front right tyre was half flat. Oh I found an M6 bolt in the engine bay and the heater had two bolts missing from top mountings. The front wishbones had seen a few gravel traps. I was assured that all would be fixed if I put down a £2k deposit. I can only imaging the respray was required to chips and track rash. The paint job was nice though, no sign of previous colour at all.

Graham the salesman was a nice chap but for a main dealer select car it was presented in an unsaleable condition for a 31k car!

The search continues.

I was looking for my dream car but was seriously let down. Considering it was supposed to be fresh paint it had a spider crack on top of both rear arches, paint chip on the passenger sill. I found three rivets and an M5 bolt in the boot, the boot poppers were loose, the drivers side panel on the inside rattled like a ten year old car, there was also no paint on the top of that panel it was also wavier than a north shore swell. On start up the nose cone rattled like it wasn't done up (was rattling on the radiator). On test the brake pedal needed pressing down instead of forwards to activate and the steering wheel wasn't put on straight. When we got back the clocks had an electrical tiz and stopped at 5000rpm and 50mph! The front right tyre was half flat. Oh I found an M6 bolt in the engine bay and the heater had two bolts missing from top mountings. The front wishbones had seen a few gravel traps. I was assured that all would be fixed if I put down a £2k deposit. I can only imaging the respray was required to chips and track rash. The paint job was nice though, no sign of previous colour at all.

Graham the salesman was a nice chap but for a main dealer select car it was presented in an unsaleable condition for a 31k car!

The search continues.