Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Progressive springs: Are they better than linear ?!

marcos59

• Area Representative

I would like to change my Bilstein shocks with progressive springs for Protech shocks.

I'm unsure about springs...keep 176/224lb/in progressive springs or go for 200lb/in linear:
- Are progressive springs better? for touring? for track ?
- Is 200lb/in linear is similar value of 174/226 progressive or I make a mistake ?

Thanks for advices !

• Area Representative

Standard rear springs are very much softer. They're something like 110 - 130 - 200lbs/in, but not reaching the 200lbs/in part until the extreme of bump.

Softer springs normally give a better ride, and better traction.

I'd say that something like 130 or 150 would offer a reasonable compromise if using a linear rate spring. 

Progressive Vs Linear is a debate that will never be concluded. On a Seven you have the complication that the suspension ratio (ratio of suspension travel to spring travel) is fixed at the rear but falling at the front. Rising rate (progressive) springs can be used to compensate for a falling suspension ratio or it can help stop the suspension from hitting the bump stops. The drawback of progressive suspension is that the natural frequency of the suspension changes through its travel, but the damping doesn't. This makes tuning the handling on the dampers a bit of a compromise.

My rule of thumb would be that progressive springs can be useful on the road where unexpected bumps and camber changes are the norm. On the track things are more predictable, and as handling balance becomes more important, linear springs are probably better.

• Area Representative

Thanks for answers.

Yes forget to say it is for a 21 *yes* so this is probably why spring rate I found on service history are harder than for a 7 (21 is 100kg heavier *whistle* )