Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Propshaft balance

sprocket

As a newbee to blatchat, please forgive me if there is already an answer out there but I cant find one. I have a 2012 140 Supersport (1.6 Sigma). When I first built it I did have vibration trouble as only one wheel had been supplied balanced. Thanks Caterham. Having had them all finely balanced, all was well until I did a track day. From about 85 mph I get a fairly solid vibration that doesn't feel like wheels so am wondering about propshaft balance. The shaft has one balance weight at the diff end but nothing at the front end. I also suffer a small oil leak from the gearbox extension housing seal which didn't go away when I replaced the seal. Can anyone out there give any words of wisdom re prop balance and whether this could influence the seal leak. Thx

Bailey Morris make a lot of the props for Caterham themselves as well as plenty of racers. I would highly recommend having a word with them about your issue, which may or may not be related to the prop. I bought a new top-spec prop from them just a few weeks ago and am seriously impressed with their work and customer service. Let me know if you need an email address for the chap I've been dealing with.

If changing the gearbox rear seal hasn't fixed the leak, I wonder if the front of the prop is damaged and chewing up seals?

Thanks for the advice, I'll give Bailey Morris a call and see what they can suggest. The front of the prop 'looks' in good condition and shouldn't have suffered any damage. I'll update this thread with what I learn.

Thanks again for your input.

On Mankee's advice I spoke to those wonderfully helpful people at Bailey Morris who offered to do a balance and dimensional check on the shaft for me. As I already had the engine and gearbox out for another job, it would be easy to pull the prop out forwards and drop it into their factory as I was passing nearby the next day......... Wrong! Ok, all you clever people know that the prop can only come out backwards due to the rear flange diameter being larger than the miniscule tunnel. So the diff has to come out first. Oh well, C'est la Vie! Or should that be C'est la Caterham!

Aha, if the diff's out then maybe Steve at SP Components in Redditch should also get a call.Thanks to Mankee and 'Seven Wonders'.

Doh! We neglected to mention that the prop has to come out towards the back of the car. Depending on your location in the country, it might also be worth speaking to Phil at Road and Race in Sevenoaks, Kent about the diff, if he does the BMW diffs as well.

Good luck!

It's a bigger tube than standard, with sealed UJs and also lightened as well as balanced. It's the same unit as used in R600s (now 620Rs I suppose), EXCEPT Caterham don't have them lightened. Doesn't make sense to not spend a little extra on lightening the prop on an expensive motor.

Retail price is £220+delivery+VAT. Weight is 5.1kgs compared to 3.8kgs of my outgoing prop but I wanted strength and little/no maintenance over everything else. You've got to make sure the diff and gearbox are perfectly centred though, as the bigger UJs are FT (not the Financial Times) in the transmission tunnel.

http://www.mankee.plus.com/Props.jpg

Just been talking to a local propshaft firm.  They intimate that the original Caterham propshaft is not of the best quality, also the seal path segment into the gearbox is sometimes a little short which allows a little "bouncing" which in turn leads to leaking.  Taking mine in next week and will report back.