Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Exhaust Cat + Silencer Options

Mostro

Hi all

I'm looking for some guidance through the bewildering array of exhaust setups and some recommendations on replacing my existing silencer with a cat + silencer combo.

I have an original 1.6K Superlight with the competition/race 4-1 primaries, no cat and a 5" silencer which needs replacing.  As the car is a 2002 model, I do also need a cat for MOT time and at this stage I'm happy to run with it all year as the car for is road-use only. There was a cat on the car at some point in its history but not when I bought it.

The other concern is ground-clearance - a previous owner swapped to a 5" silencer because of grounding on hard right cornering, and would ideally like to keep the current clearance as I only have mms to spare when exiting my drive and negotiating the plethora of speed humps around here.

I was interested in the Meteor Motorsport cat-in-the-can solutions but sadly they are no longer supplying them.  I'd be grateful for any BC wisdom on the subject for a mechanical novice...

thanks

Paul

For MOT, assuming you can't find a "sympathetic" tester locally, and need a catalyst, I think Powerspeed can make you one in 6" or 7" with a cat, or supply a complete 4-2-1 system. You could also butcher the silencer from a standard 5" short primary system to make it fit with your long primaries (which a few speed championship competitors have done). Not very pretty but cheap and functional.

The collector on my 4-1 system was modified to add a kink, to raise the silencer about an inch, because of ground clearance issues. Works with a standard Caterham silencer, plus I have the Meteor cat-in-can. (Possibly all for sale as those Powerspeed 4-2-1 systems do look nice and shiny...)

I was hoping to avoid the added expense and hole-trimming hassle of changing the primaries to 4-2-1 but it's beginning to sound like that might be the easier off-the-shelf solution without resorting to custom-made kinks etc

James - thanks for the offer, I might take you up on that. I haven't had chance to speak to Powerspeed yet - is it a case of taking the car down there for bespoke fitting or can it be done remotely / by post?

If you have external primaries, shouldn't be any need to change them or modify the sideskin to go 4-2-1. Worked on mine. Powerspeed can do cat in can. Hopefully they can do it without the car .... but call and ask. Important to use the centre support bush too.