Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Caterham cars production quantities.

Nigel Riches

So gentlemen, tonight's curly question is ; does anyone have reliable information about the number of cars produced by Caterham Cars over the time of their production? 

This point could be a game changer in my certification process, less than 500 a year, and the car gets the full nut, bolt and washer check, greater than 500, then iit gets  a tyre kicking, maul the headlights about, make sure they don't fall off, get the tick in the box and off you go, well not quite that quick. 

Back in 1982, when I bought my car, Caterham where not making that many, so I think I'm in the Full Monty category, but any information would be gratefully received, thanks. 

Nigel 

There's a detailed breakdown by model, engine etc. in a table at the back of one of Chris Rees' books. Not sure if it's "The Magnificent 7" or "Caterham Sevens" and not at home at the moment to check but maybe someone else has the book and can get you the numbers? It doesn't come right up to the present day but should cover the period of production of your car. If nobody comes up with anything in the meantime, prod me this evening and I will have a look.

Nigel, judging by your sig' are you trying to comply your car in NZ? I exported my UK Caterham to NZ in 2007/8 and put it through compliance as a kit built car so it was assessed by a LVVTA representative. He specifically didn't want to know production volumes so it could be passed by the low volume manufacturer route.

The only changes it required were strengthening to the inertia reel belt mountings on the rear bulkhead, NZ spec brake lines, high level brake light and a return spring on the brake pedal.

I assume by your question you are going for compliance via a different route?

Mike