Click here if you are having website access problems ×

H7 LED Replacement headlight bulbs

shn7

I started looking at HID/Xenon upgrades for my recently purchase BMW E61 520d but then wondered about LED upgrades.

It seems there are lots available but does anyone know if they are any good, easy to fit or might cause error codes to be shown in the car?

Thoughts please?

• Area Representative

ABD are a leader in aftermarket LED's, there's even a club discount I believe.

http://www.autobulbsdirect.co.uk/bmw-5-series-touring-2009-2010-59

Looking at the above page (I guessed at a 2010 with 59 plate but you can change it in the URL), it looks like while they do normal lamps for this car, they don't do LED ones.

They have a great support line if you want to check with them that they don't and ask them why they don't.

And their reply reads:

Hi Steve,
Many thanks for your email. Unfortunately we don't currently supply LED headlight units as all the ones we have tested have had no form of beam pattern or light projection so although they will look good you won't be able to see where you are going. Hope this helps

Looks like a HID/Xenon upgrade then.

There are a number of powerful H7 LED bulbs you can buy, but the more powerful varieties require positive cooling via a heat sink and fan at the rear of the bulb, this may prevent you fitting the bulb inside the headlamp casing as the heat sink protrudes a good way. The heat sink might also get in the way of the bulb holder or retention clip. They may also give you bulb out errors unless they have an integrated warning canceller as LEDs don't give a decent resistance to the OBCs bulb tests.

I have fitted a couple of sets to friends cars with some success.

Oily

There are a number of powerful H7 LED bulbs you can buy, but the more powerful varieties require positive cooling via a heat sink and fan at the rear of the bulb, this may prevent you fitting the bulb inside the headlamp casing as the heat sink protrudes a good way. The heat sink might also get in the way of the bulb holder or retention clip. They may also give you bulb out errors unless they have an integrated warning canceller as LEDs don't give a decent resistance to the OBCs bulb tests.

I have fitted a couple of sets to friends cars with some success.

Oily

I've been using PIAA Xtreme White Plus bulbs (blue tips) for some time now - fitted to the Seven and all other cars and bikes owned for the past ten years or so.

Claim a 110W output and I wouldn't doubt that as they make a significant difference over standard bulbs.  Not cheap (c£55 pair) but they do last.  Put a set of four H7s in a 330 Cab BMW in '03 and all were still working fine when it was sold a year ago and 110k miles later.

Switched over to a 50w HID system on my bike - BMW R1200GSA but reverted to the PIAAs as their light was more focused and useable (didn't dazzle every other road user and stuck the light on to the road area where it was needed), and much brighter than the standard bulb if not as bright as the HID.

The PIAAs are an easier and cheaper option than switching to HID for a better output but I'm sure that there will be a viable LED alternative soon.

Neil

Thanks everyone.  Still undecided. Some poor reviews on PIAA's and they claim less output than Phillips Extreme Vision's I've used previously.  Best headlights I've had on any car where HID/Xenon on a 1999 Vx Omega and looking to get back to that kind of performance. 

JK - I asked about bulbs not complete headlight units.

I think LED's are out for reasons of lack of beam pattern, cooling requirements and size not allowing the rear cover to be kept in place and so no waterproofing.

I have used a large number of 55w HID kits on friends and families cars, these are mostly H7 and I have used H7R bulbs which are designed for reflector lenses and have a light cut off shield to prevent glare, light output is very good and the beam pattern is coherent. Just make sure you buy wisely, there are bulb holder available for the BMW headlight which allow fitment of these directly into BMW light units.

Your vehicle will have projector lenses so beam pattern won't be a problem with just regular bulbs.

Oily

Ian B - We're talking for my BMW here!

Oily,

Just make sure you buy wisely, there are bulb holder available for the BMW headlight which allow fitment of these directly into BMW light units.

Do you have any links to items you would recommend?