Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Immobiliser

ScottR400D

I swapped to a version with a contact on the dash, it is very similar, but doesn't have the aerial. I believe that once the immobiliser is disarmed by the transponder, it then stays inactive until it resets when the ignition is switched off. If the engine is running it makes no difference if the transponder is removed from the car.

Duncan

On the R400D with keyless ignition, the engine will keep running without the transponder until the "start" button is pressed to shut the engine off, the security system will then re-arm 20 seconds after that. The transponder will then be required to be brought back into range to start the engine again. The transponder is basically required for engine start, but not for running.

Thanks guys. I'm still trying to get to the bottom of why my hazards came on, on their own, the other day. Just wondered about the transponder.

I'm fairly clued up about the switches now but still can't figure out a failure mode that would cause that. I've looked closely at the diagram, aerobod but it's really a harness layout, not a wiring diagram and doesn't help (me anyway).

I haven't been out again but all seems well in the garage, connections all seem fine.

Do you have a dash like this? (like mine) : 

http://uk.caterhamcars.com/sites/default/files/styles/main/public/preowned/3_3.jpg?itok=vLtt8QDk

If so then I believe that the switches control an "instrument control module" which determines which button is being pressed and what function to perform. I'd love to find a proper wiring diagram for this module but I've never been able to find anything. 

On "old" style dashes like this :

http://www.mycaterham.com/mediac/400_0/media/DIR_175409/0037.jpg

... the hazard light switch was notorious for dodgy connections and consequent bad behaviour. 

Hi, Spiderlane.

It's the new style dash as in your first image.

I've been in touch with Caterham this morning, they think the switch and are sending me one today. They think it could possibly be the Dash Control Module, which is the big circuit board under the scuttle, above the heater panel but the switch is more likely.

I shall let everyone know how it goes, thanks for all the comments!