Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Which exhaust packing

Leebert

As you have the Powerspeed (as do I), probably easier to use the bags of glass fibre, as you don't need to remove the whole can. Jack the back up, remove the n/s wheel, pop the end cap off the can, and there's enough room to stuff it in with the wheel out of the way.

Oz...

I love Acousta-Fil. If I find that the standard Powerspeed wigs (well, they look like a load of wigs to me) aren't doing as good a job at silencing as I'd like, I'm going to do exactly as Ozzy suggests and ram silencing material in without taking the whole can and secondaries section off. I plan to use the Boa version of Acousta-Fil:

http://www.jjcraceandrally.com/race/exhaust-silencers/acousta-fil-boa-exhaust-silencer-packing

In my experieance Acousta-Fil Boa is much better than the Powerspeed packing material!

I had my Sigma silencer repacked by powerspeed and the noise was a poor 100 dB static and failed the Brands 92 dB drive-by.  Quick re-pack with Boa and the noise was down to 97 dB static and no more black flags :)

If you buy from JJC or Demon Tweeks (same people) via ebay, you can get it delivered to Argos for collection.

I used Acousta-Fil Boa too, in fact theres a photo of me in mid can action in my profile pic (I dont get out much!).

My 2005 1.8 K Series has a Powerspeed system which failed a pre test at Castle Coombe last year being over the limit set at 100dbA.

I bought several bags from Acousta-Fil and the measured level on the day was 96dbA a pretty good reduction. Easy process to fill and the Boa is not at all abrasive to handle.   

Pretty easy to take the can off the car too if you are finding it difficult to get the last Allen screw out of the can - you know the one directly facing the side skin which is slightly chewed up.

Forgot to mention.

You do need to cut down an Allen key for the one next to the body. Angle grinder does the job perfectly! Up to you whether you want to remove the whole can, but sometimes to get it off the primaries, you do have to slacken the other ends where they're bolted to the head, which to be honest, is not something you really want to do regularly.

Oz....