Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Emerald shift light

LesG

I'm using the M3DK version Emerald, and remember there is a 'change gear' option for a shift light in there. Before I go and make a mountain out of a molehill, can anyone advise me about the best way of carrying out this little job, particularly a recommended big, bright led? There seem to be so many different ones to choose from, some requiring resistors etc.

Cheers, Les.

Have you red the M3D manual, Les? The ECU just outputs a switched earth to the bulb when the set shift light rpm is reached. The other side of the bulb is just connected to a switched 12V.

Page 50:

http://www.emeraldm3d.com/media/software-manuals/Emerald%20M3DK%20Manual%20v5.pdf

Longacre from JJC/Demon Tweeks do some socking great 19mm warning lights, although I don't use one at the moment, as it is sat on the shelf:

http://www.jjcraceandrally.com/race/dash-warning-lights/longacre-gagelite-dash-warning-lights

Loads on fleabay, some even come pre-wired, if I remember correctly I used an 8mm clear one that when on was really bright. I also used the appropriate back plastic holder. If you use a 12v led, technically you don't need a resistor but you may want to put in a low value one in such at 10ohms. if you use a lower voltage led Ohm's law will indicate the size of resistor, plenty of calculators on the web - R=V over I. Calculator

Thanks for the link, I plumped for a 10mm, 12v pre-wired with plastic bezel, yellow in colour, £1.99 delivered! I'll give it a go and see how I get on, may even get another in green to swap the old indicator tell-tale bulb, might make me switch it off more often if I can see it flashing lol!