Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Cosmetic issue

Julian Bradley

I'm probably being thick, but

(a) is there a remedy for badly faded switchgear on the dashboard, save new switches?

(b) am considering permanent removal of spare wheel - unfortunately, as it has been there 12 years, everyone can see my unsightly ring (as it were) when it has been removed. Tried T cut. Is there a received wisdom about this (save respraying the back panel)?

🙆🏻 *confused*

• Leadership Team

I tried everything to clean them up and then seal the surface again. However, nothing lasted more than a couple of weeks.

A new set is not that expensive - I asked the wife and she bought me a set for Christmas - since then, no problems.

Michael.

Excellent. The solution is simple we all ask Michael's wife for a new set of switches *eek*

Chris Alston

1800 Supersprint - Loud and Proud 😬 ...well it only sounds fast officer 😳

Brooklands aeroscreens for those........flies in the teeth moments *eek*

Drive it like you stole it! *cool* *thumbup*

Halfords exterior trim cleaner works for me

It won some awards from Auto Express - It does need re-application but if you persevere it does last sucseessivly longer and take less to bring the switched back to black, I believe it is silicon based so weather there is a huge difference beteween the products I dont know, I use it on the interior pannels / dash also,

A tooth brush gets into all the nooks and crannies and texture of the dash, it is easier if you heat and bend the toothbrush so it bends the other way, unless your dashboard is in the same position as your mouth in which case the oral biased inclination of the Ennamel enhancement device is prefferable.

Just thought - i have a spare electric tooth brush that may be pressed into service.

Nick

I think I'll do it with a toothbrush (& Halfrauds sil.), then the vaseline, just because it sounds so whacky.

& I expect some funny looks at Boots this Saturday....

This is only because I'm getting nearly new black S type seats installed, & want the rest of the car to look OK. Thin end of the wedge on a slippery slope towards being sad git.... 😬

• 7 months later...

Does anyone know why turps makes the plastic go grey? Is it because a deposit forms on the plastic because of the turps, or is it that the turps has somehow "damaged" the plastic?

The reason for asking is that I have accidentally got cellulose thinners on the plastic case of my computer - it's turned an area of the plastic from black to whitish - which reminded me of the same whitish greyness of the switches on my own dashboard....

PS does anyone know whether how the fixes suggested in the thread above work - e.g. do they clean the deposits off the plastic, coat it, or somehow reverse the damage done?

Turps, white spirit, nail varnish remover thinners, etc actually react with the plastic & create a "new" covering to the plastic that can't be removed. Kinda like "plastic oxide". Ultraviolet light from the sun does the same thing but takes a bit longer.

All the remedies mentioned above only hide the problem & would neeed constant applications to keep the switches black.

Exterior trim cleaners usually contain very fine abrasives to help remove the "plastic oxide" as well as being silicon based to protect the black surface being attacked but again this will only work for so long as it gradually wears off.

How do you get the dead flys off your teeth....... 😬