Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Overheating/fan switch?

twincamtim

(2001 Roadsport SV with K series 1.8 120bhp)

OK, I have a mystery problem (to me anyway) and wondered if anyone could advise:

Radiator fan switch failed mid-July; replaced and worked normally until last week. Replaced the switch again yesterday and the fan worked as expected (only ran the engine up to temp on the drive, not driven). 

Drove the car for the first time today, did about 10 miles and then the temperature quickly spiked (to 120) followed by it dumping water out of the header tank. It has never done this before. Fan did not work at this point. 

Does anyone have any ideas? It seems to my simple mind that the failing fan switch is merely a symptom not the cause - has the water pump or thermostat failed??

I followed the above advice and then ran the engine:

The engine steadily warmed up and the temp gauge climbed to 110 - at that point I panicked and switched it off: the heater hoses, the large top hose and the top of the radiator were pretty hot but the bottom of the rad and the large bottom hose were still cold. The radiator fan did not start at any point and the expansion tank didn't leak.

Given what SM25T suggests I was thinking of trying the 'hole in the thermostat' approach next....does that make sense?

My experience is not to put a hole in the thermostat as it will mess up your engine running temperature and your heater system - i have tried it over 2 years - even built a radiator pull up blind to keep the engine temp up on cooler days! The engine is designed to run with steady temperature control - this is also giving the ECU messages re fuelling etc.  Best to put a T piece in the highest hose - usually the heater hose and lift the nose of the car up when filling with water. Patience is needed and may take a few times to get all the air out.

It seems sensible to try the advice offered by JK before doing anything else....although the 'holed' thermostat doesn't sound too drastic.

G30 on order and hoping for a dry weekend while I tinker.

Many thanks for all the advice. I will report back when I have something new to add.

With my car set up as per the LF article (and no airlocks !) it just sits at 80C all day ... including driving in shade temperatures over 41C. The tiny hole in the thermostat allows air through, but not enough volume of water to cause any concerns !

Just to say that it is not about the hole being drastic, it will just mess up your cooling system balance more than you can imagine - I have replaced my holed one with normal and it now works perfectly. I am sure others have had the same problem having followed blatchat advice to make the hole!