Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Passenger door 'blowing in' at the back at extended motorway speed

NeilCSR

When going at a 'healthly motorway speed', one-up, the passenger door blows in at the back, enough to undo the press stud on the restraining strip and is only held in place by the arm rest clip.

Never noticed this on previous sevens I've owned, nor on this one before (owned now for about eighteen months) and never an issue when two-up as the passenger's shoulder stops this happening.   Maybe wasn't cruising as quickly one-up for an extended period before so never noticed it.

Have recently changed the diff from 3.92 to 3.38 (5-speed) which means that if I ever took it to 4k in 5th I would be doing 94.0, so motorway cruising miles are much easier (the change has made a massive positive difference to the car and all five gears get used - but that's another topic).

Not sure if it's a result of more recent solo trips, easier higher cruising speed, or a problem with the door.  Even removed the mirror which I though might be acting as a 'sail' and forcing the door in but that made no diifference.  It's a concern as I don't want to lose the door, and don't also want to add an extra catch on the outside.

Any thoughts?  And is this pretty common?  And if so, is there a mod suggested for the door to stop this happening?

Neil

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Neil

mine started doing that after I had the rear wing replaced (another story). It looks like the new wing is slightly closer to the door so that rides up under the pressure at speed, resulting in it popping in.

There is some slack in the inside fastener, so my first line of attack is to shorten the strap.

Steve

Yes it happens on mine, although not on Motorways as I avoid them *wink* (SM235T probably doesn't go fast enough *blah* *laugh* ).

I've added a strap with a popper that fits onto the stud just beyond the door that I think is meant for half doors.  Even that pulls undone sometimes, so I'm looking at an alternative fixing, possibly a one-way popper.

It's not likely to happen on an S3 as the doors are shorter. 

I had the same issue which was (mostly) cured by loosening the four bolts holding the screen on and making sure the screen is tipped back as far as it will go before tightening them up again. It now only happens I'd there is a strong gust or lump of air.

Bob

Thanks for all the advice.  Wasn't sure whether it was unique to my car or not, didn't happen on the two previous sevens which were S3s, but I can see that I'm not alone.

Moving the windscreen as far back as possible makes a lot of sense as that will add to the overlap of the door's interior frame against the body where the door and body meet when closed, hence making it more difficult to 'pop'.  Hadn't thought to check whether there was any possible movement in the frame position, but I did undo the frame a while back and might have inadvertantly created this problem when putting back.

If that doesn't work I'll probably add a 'turnbuckle' catch at the rear edge of the door and use that when solo.  Didn't want to make any addition like that but it should solve the problem, albeit in an unsatisfactory way.

Could always just go slower.........!!

Perhaps that's just a bit too much.

Neil

Update.....

Good advice, Bob.  Screen adjustment has helped - it still occurs but at approx 10mph higher.

Loosened the screen, and set it as far back as possible, noting that there was about 1mm gap between scuttle rubber and previous dust line.

Definitely made a diffference, see if it is enough after a while. 

Neil

I've had the same problem as the lower door 'flap' has 'broken' (ie no longer a solid integral piece beneath the plastic outer skin) - this leads to my leading edge of said flap 'flapping out' at speed which in turn causes the rear edge of the door to 'blow in' (this is made worse when speed is combined with gusty side wind...). I have had the door lift of the hinges as a result which is.... interesting! Two strips of gaffa are my (long term!) temporary quick fix - one along  the hinge line, one along the front lead edge of the lower flap... (you may of guessed I'm no polisher, so this doesn't bother me at all aesthetically and does the job).   *smile* *driving*

It's all about the overlap of the door at the front of the rear wing, and particularly how much the internal frame overlaps. 

If it's only a bit, the frame bends and the back of the door goes in.  The greater the overlap, the greater the aerodynamic force required to bend the frame, which increases with speed.

Moving the windscreen frame back has definitely helped.  The door is only still there because of the armrest catch!  It was only this that stopped the door flying off. 

Think I will probably add a small turnbuckle catch to the front of the rear wing so that the rear flap of the door can be secured - but only twist to close when going solo.  Passenger's shoulder and elbow on the armrest do a pretty good job otherwise.  Adding this catch should cure the problem and hopefully not look too out of place

• 8 months later...

Did anyone ever come up with a good solution to this?

Mine are still doing it, and it's annoying me.

I've had a bit more of a look at the problem. Even with the windscreen positioned as far back as possible, the line of the rear edges of the doors gives the impression that the doors are basically at least 1cm too short, as shown below. The only part that overlaps the the chassis hoop at the rear is made entirely of flexible leather. There are no rigid frame components in any of the overlapping part of the door.

Are other peoples' SV doors like this? Mine is 2003 registered, but I think built from 2001 parts.

Door1.jpg.abae6f2c30a0995e679adf6a0acf6662.jpg

Door2.jpg.430eedcf5f8850faa332207486b6d3ed.jpg

Yes this isn't just a case of them bowing a little though, when I don't have a passenger the passenger door actually flips inboard of the wheel arch and flaps about over the passenger seat. I have armrests which stop the lower part of the door flipping right in but the upper part of the door comes right inside the car. Eventually it is going to damage the door.