Click here if you are having website access problems ×

ACF 50 use

Rusty Nuts Garage

I've got a couple of cans of ACF50.   Not really sure what to make of it. Hasn't been on the car long enough for any meaningful conclusions to be reached.

It is identical to WD40 in smell, perhaps more runny and a bit less oily.  I guess you could spray it everywhere, it certainly isn't going to do any harm (obviously be sensible - don’t go spraying it on the brake discs!).

My car doesn't have any other corrosion protection, so twice a year I'll jack the front up and spray ACF50 into the grot traps until it drips out by the rear wheel arches.  That’s ok if you're happy to top it up periodically, but if not, something a little more permanent (and messy) like Dinitrol 3125 might be better.

I place the can in hot water for a few minutes otherwise I find it too viscous.

I spray a little quantitiy in a cup and use a rag for areas where a spray would be too messy : ball joints, steering arms, wishbones, dampers (protech with an aluminium body). It helps also to avoid overspray : it attracts a lot of dirt if the layer is too thick.

Good product but quite expensive and difficult to find on the continent.

I've used this for many years on bikes.  Absolutely wonderful, I believe it was developed originally for use on alloy in aircraft.  Treated my BMWs - plenty of alloy - engine, final drive etc - as well as screwheads that weren't stainless.  Also use on any connectors that are exposed.

It comes out of the aerosol foamy but it will creep and spread.  I've also got a bottle of the stuff as well and use that on exposed threads etc, applying judiciously with a small brush.  Use it on the seven as well, exposed parts (front suspension joints particularly).  Apply it a couple of times a year, depending on frequency of cleaning and bad weather usage.  Much better than WD40 for corrosion prevention.