Click here if you are having website access problems ×

What rear pads to go with Ferodo DS3000 fronts (std calipers)

Kal-El

I had the pleasure of driving a friends Honda Integra type R fitted with Ferodo DS3000 pads on the front on Sunday and they were absolutley epic.
I'd like to get a front set for my car (std calipers) but I'm wondering what I should run on the rear? Will the standard pads still be ok? What rear pads are you running with your DS3000's?

Thanks

• Area Representative

DS3000's don't look like a good choice unless it't a track only car?

The coefficient of friction is very different depending on temperature, so you'd need a rear pad that works equally as badly when cold, heats up at the same rate, and improves at the same rate, AND, even more difficult, maintains a reasonable balance.......(which really means running dual master cylinders and a bias bar)

what pads are you currently using, what are you using the car for, and what is wrong with your current set up?

The car is used as a fast road car. The DS3000 were great from cold and just got better as they warmed up so I'm confident they'll make a good road pad. I loved the feel and level of bite they provided and they are half the cost of Pagid RS15 or their replacement, the RST3.

I guess I can try them with the standard rears to start with.

If using DS3000 on the front, a pair of DS2500 like the ones I have for sale are recommended as a good pairing, although I paired them with the uprated DS3000 on the front.  The two have a very similar heating rate and are a good balance.

But I agree with Richard.  These pads are not at their best from cold.  Bear in mind that the Integra is a good deal heavier so the bite from cold in that car may be different.  I took them off my car for that reason.  But they are great when warm, I agree with that.

• Area Representative

Kal-El,

for road use, you really can't go far wrong with Mintex 1144 (MGB533M1144) in the front, and the standard pads that are supplied by Caterham to be used with big brakes in the back.

They work from cold, have good front to rear balance, and don't cost a lot.

Some of the fancy ceramic pads like Pagids may have "excellent bite", but that can also be interpreted to mean "lock up really easily....."

If going for the Mintex pads, don't go for the slightly different pads with larger friction material (MGB535M1144), as this will bush the bias too much towards the front (don't underestimate how much stopping power actually comes from the rear brakes)

I agree with Richard. I use 1144s all round on non-standard brakes now for pure track use. I tried 1155s but I just couldn't get any sustained heat into them. And if you need a Mintex supplier, my pal has supplied other club members with 1144s at a competitive price. Drop me a line if you want his contact details.

PS. How's the engine loosening up now?

Hi Mankee,

Over the first 450 miles the engine got better and better each time I took it out. It seems to have plateaued now. (I swapped the running in oil out at 600) It's also now running very rich, which according to Andy is because the compression has come up due to the rings bedding in. More compression requires less fuel. We were going to adjust the map on sunday as its still limited to 6500 rpm, however the 02 wideband sensor is faulty so we've rescheduled for this weekend. (Pending a new one arriving in time).
It's a lot of fun. 2 things that now need doing as a result though. I run 15" wheels, and just discovered that the tyres are nearly 8 years old. Eeek. No wonder its sliding all over the palce, even worse since the upgrade. (They're CR500's) I'm trying to find 13's and I'll get the new ZZR's. 2nd thing is the brakes. I actually thought they were pretty good until I drove Andy's integra (standard 280mm single pots with DS3000's). I want my eyes to pop out my head when I pres them. :)