Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Newbie question - How fast should you be able to go with a hood on?

chris whitlow

Hi All,

I've had my 7 for four weeks now, I'm using it as often as possible and loving it!

This morning I tried the half hood for the first time, as it looks a bit wet later, only to find that at around 70mph the front unpoppered itself.

Is this normal, is there a maximum recommended speed with a hood fitted?

Cheers,

Chris

I used my Oxted Thundersport mohair half hood for the first time on Saturday after trusting the weather forecast rather than the sky.  I only got up to about 60 but there was no flapping or lifting at that speed.

Mine too is a right pig to fit onto the screen.  The poppers themselves aren't particularly tight but I have to stretch it really hard between each popper to fit  - no idea if that's normal or not.  Other than being harder and less dignified to get in/out than with a full cage I was really chuffed with it.

Is the hood old or new?  Maybe check with the maker - don't know if poppers get loose over time or not?

The hood is a new Thundersport half hood and was nice and tight with no flapping at all, until it went with a bang! Fortunately only the poppers on the passenger side let go so I could pull the now flapping hood back inside.

When fitting it I have to stretch the hood from one popper to the next but the poppers do attach reasonably easily. Maybe I need new male poppers on the screen?

I've had my SBFS hood  well over  *censored*  with no issues once I'd got the fit right at the front with the soft bar part just right on the screen. I did replace one popper because it did keep lifting but the hood was 2nd hand and not designed for an FIA bar . But I have to say its one of the best bits oft kit you can buy for your 7.

Some racers at Spa one year thought the standard hood would be more aerodynamic than running the car without it .  I was told that a full hood letting go at over 100mph on the drag up Les Combes is quite a sight to behold .  *yikes*

I’ve never had a problem with my hood, but this does remind me of a story I heard from a customer with a seven.  He was caught out in the rain, quickly stopped and pulled on the hood and off he went again. A few minutes later as he got up to speed the hood was ripped off and through his mirror, he watched it splat against the grill of the lorry behind. He then had to deal with the indignity of watching the lorry carry on going, hood plastered to the grill, as he stopped! Fortunately, I believe the hood dislodged itself further down the road and he was able to retrieve it. A great story but I think it gave him a bit of a shock at the time.

Have been into 3 figures with a SFBS original "Classic" half hood and no problems.

Mine is left connected at the back with the straps tensioned, and I just throw it over the car and popper onto the screen and the two side tensioner straps (one-way poppers).

It is tensioned quite tight, but doesn't flap or come off (it actually 'balloons' upwards in the centre at speed).  

Maybe the "originals" are better than the "copies" - now where have I heard that before? (oops - Can open, worms everywhere!).

I have an SBFS hood with easy in zips. It has never lifted off the screen and has been over 70mph. At slow speeds the water can pool on the top of the hood and leak through the zips so it is best to travel everywhere at high speed! 

Our full hood did once start to unbutton itself at 60mph, however I suspect that's because I'd put it on in a hurry because it was raining.

On the other hand, we've visited the Isle of Man, and our Oxted / Thundersports mohair half hood has remained secure at over 80mph.

Personally, 80mph is somewhere around the top of my comfort zone in inclement conditions and/or at night (where "dry but cold" might suggest use of the hood), so if it didn't remain in place at higher speeds I'd most likely never find out, nor care!

I've had mine unpopper itself on the M4 at (ahem) 70mph.  I managed to grab hold of the free edge before it departed, which made for an interesting drive (in the pouring rain) as far as the next services.  Fortunately they were not far away...

That was quite early in my time with the car.  After that I just made really sure that all the poppers were 100% done up and secure - it did the rest of the journey ok.  It has only happened once more since then, but that time I spotted it when only one popper had let go and was able to pull over in time. 

Aero screen now, so the worry transfers to whether or not my hat & glasses are securely in place.

• 3 weeks later...

All sorted now thanks Jemma. It's taken me a while but I've finally tested the roof at over 80 and the new poppers worked brilliantly.

For anyone with similar issues, Thundersports sent me some 'one way' poppers FOC that, on the female side, have a 2mm wide band of steel on the inside of the popper that hooks under the bottom edge of the male side, attached to the screen frame. Therefore, no amount of pulling on the front lower edge of the roof will make the poppers let go. It meant replacing the poppers on both my full and half hoods and the male part around the screen but I now feel I can trust the roof to remain in place at any speed.

I had two reasons for buying a Thundersport hood the main one being the style. I like the way the lower edge on the side of the hood lines up with the top of the window on the door. Anal I know but to me it just looks right. The second reason was they had them in stock and within a couple of days of ordering I'd received it. I'm very pleased with the quality too.

Thanks for all your replies chaps.

Cheers,

Chris