Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fuel injector issue

Mucus72

hi all,

I was just doing the usual little checks between trackways and fired my car up (EU3 K) and noticed fine must spitting in the floor. Turned the car off and the fuel injector nearest the front of the car is wet and obviously leaking. Do the POBC know if this means I need to replace the whole injector or if it's likely just O ring failure. I have been reading through BC history and it's not clear if you can replace the these deals separately. 

I've never known an injector body leak but I guess there is a first time for everything. If you have a compressor and blow gun you should be able to blow fuel away and identify the source, the usual disclaimers about blowing yourself/car/garage/house up apply. *yikes* Otherwise dry area off and get someone to start it while you watch for source.

If it turns out to be top or bottom seal I probably have some I could put in the post.

Tony

Well I went around to Marcus's house yesterday to have a look at this with him and as always happens when Marcus asks me to look at a a problem it disappeared without a trace. No sign of leakage whatsoever. Nothing apparently loose, out of position or broken. We gave everything a good flexing and wiggling whilst running and under pressure to try to expose any cracks but nothing showed up at all.

Prior to the run where the fault showed up the car had been standing unused for approximately 1 month. My only thought is that the O-ring at the rail end of No. 1 injector may have gone a bit hard and wasn't sealing properly but a good dose of fuel has allowed it to swell a little and seal again. Having said that the O-ring looked normal but we didn't pull the rail for a proper look.

Marcus, keep an eye on it especially if the car ends up standing for a while over the winter. I doubt the fuel is coming from the bottom end of the injector where it appeared to be coming from as that will be at lower than atmospheric pressure at idle and any leak will tend to suck rather than blow. I think it will have been spraying onto there from somewhere else, probably to top O-ring, but if you catch it doing it again try sticking your finger in to see which side gets wet! O-rings are cheap and easy to change. With the plastic manifold it looks like we could release the fuel rail without having to remove the plenum (as I need to on mine with the alloy version).