Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Vauxhall 8V Timing Issue ?

mschraider

Hi Folks, 

New to the forum having just bought my first Caterham - It's a Vauxhall 1.6 SOHC Beulieu on twin Webber 40s.

So far, enjoying the car apart from a new issue that's developed - at anything other than idle or full throttle, the car miss-fires, pinks, and generally runs terribly. Experience with older cars would have suggested timing, or vac advance, but this has electronic ignition so I'm at a bit of a loss. 

Appreciate any guidance, or suggestions of who might be best to take a look (and help setup the carbs) in North Berks. 

Thanks

Hi

I've an 1800 8V which pinks occasionally and has a reluctance to turn over at start up (it turns then almost stops before firing).

The car was put on a rolling road and it seemed there was not a lot to be done because the ECU (MBE?) is pretty much outmoded.

I'm not concerned too much as replacing the engine sometime in the future.

Best of luck

Keith

Unless you've had a timing light connected and seen definite issues of the spark being in the wrong place, I'd start by looking at the carbs - I've had similar symptoms with Webers.

Check for air leaks at the o rings (these will tend to show up on part throttle) and then blocked jets. Also look into the carbs to make sure the chokes are all in position, the bolts that locate them can fall out of the bottom of the carb, and it is surprising how well the engine will still run on a steady throttle when they do!