Click here if you are having website access problems ×

weight loss

LawrenceR

• Replies 180
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's the guys at TTV selling/manufacturing that pulley. It's no good if you run a Titan dry sump pump as you need the extra set of ribs for the belt. Also, have a search for the reason there is a slither of rubber between the centre of the pulley and the outer. Harmonic damper or something like that. If you don't run a belt on the smaller set of ribs, cut them off or swap to a Rover Metro-style pulley that has only one set of ribs and also runs one less rib, 4 instead of the normal 5.

What about the main rear light wedge shaped blocks  ? Are these still the horrible heavy rubber stuff or have Caterham finally made something lighter ?  Someone on here made up some lightweight ones a few years ago for sensible money so I fitted them.

I saved a small amount of weight on my crossflow by replacing the heavy steel Alternator mounting bracket and its sliding belt adjuster with aluminium ones that were home made from ali billet.

I cannot remember the manufacturer but I also saved a whole kg by swapping to a lighter weight electric fan which was also usefully slightly larger as Crossflow cooling problems have been endemic over the years.

I seem to recall that someone identified that you could save quite a bit of weight expensively if you have an older car by going to the later driveshafts. 

The early model de-dion tubes where the dampers mount through the tube were much lighter than todays one as well. I have had mine crack tested (and welded) a couple of times and re powder coated and it has been fine.

Some of us changed the rear calipers from the original Ford ones to non ventilated disc VW Golf calipers (I forget which model) which looked slightly different but were fundamentally the same with the handbrake built in, but were Ali rather than iron, and they represented a decent weight saving without spending fortunes for race ones.   They just needed a small spacer from what I recall, but they wouldn't work with some wheels so were not widely taken up. There is some stuff in the archive about this

For my crossflow though, the three biggest weight savings were, an aluminium 5 speed gearbox case, an aluminium bell housing and switching to the expensive 13 inch mag MB R500 wheels which even today surprise me how light they are.

Mankee, thanks for the info on the pulley. I wonder what it was suitable for if it does not work with dry sump and is not suited due to lack of rubber insert? Is an Elise K series different I wonder.

Graham, it seems like you have been on this crusade before. The new light blocks are still horrid rubber. CF ones are no longer available from the former 3rd party sources *irked*

I am on paternity leave at the moment so it is a bit busy in the Richards household, with a toddler and new born. That said, however, the continual weight reduction continues. Over the last few weeks I have been playing with the drivers seat to get the best comprise for aesthetics, weight loss and driving position. The priorities were in the reverse order. 

I have now got it just as I want and the added bonus is the seat runners are removed, and it is bolted directly on the floor with tiller spacers setting the angle. I am sitting about an inch lower and have saved 1.638 kg.

Total weight saving is now aprox 8.3 kg and that does not include the +7 kg I have lost.