Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Radiator fan problem

twincamtim

The radiator fan on my 2001 Roadsport 1.8K series has stopped working - it was fine on Thursday but not cutting in at all today. I presume it will either be one or a combination of: fan/switch/wiring/fuse.

With my (very) limited electrical knowledge I have checked the fuse and that is intact. Not sure what to do next - any suggestions?

PS: I do have a Multimeter - following JK's advice that every 7 owner should have one! - but have never ever used it.

Thanks.

If the fuse is OK, the next thing to check is the fan itself.  To do this, detach the connector from the sender at the top of the rad, and turn on the ignition. Join the connector terminals with a length of wire.  The fan should start (you are in effect bypassing the sender). If it does, the fault lies elsewhere.  Try this test first and let us know how you get on.

JV

If cleaning the contacts doesn't fix it, then, like JK, I'd suspect the thermostatic switch.  Relatively cheap and easy to replace -- this one, probably.

(Edited to erase spurious comments about 12v supply -- you've clearly got this, or the fan wouldn't have run in your test!  Doh!)

JV

Hi John.

Well, I followed your instructions before you edited them....and at first didn't get any voltage until I realised I hadn't turned the ignition on (Doh! x 2). Once I had done that I got 12.76V, so definitely the switch.

I see that the item is currently OOS at CC - any suggestions where I might source one from? Is this something I can swap myself??

Many thanks.

Well done.

I usually clean connections with a scraper (alright, it's a screwdriver), a wire brush and some degreaser if needed. Then reassemble with a topcoat of WD-40.

But I have a suspicion that the major value of the rigmarole lies in finding bad connections between cables and connectors and bad contacts between connectors rather than in removing crud.

Jonathan

Failure of the fan temperature switch is a common problem and occurs because the switching on and off of the fan causes the contacts to arc.  The solution is to add a relay so that the temp switch controls the relay and the relay controls the fan.  It's an easy mod to do and, if you have access to your ECU s/w and like a challenge, you can move fan control from the temp switch to the ecu, allowing you to adjust the temperature at which the fan comes on (and goes off).  You can also add an override switch.  A quick search of the recent archive will find details and a diagram.

Paul