Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Lowered Light Brackets

Nick Chan

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave, I have decided to venture up to Stoneleigh today after all so could collect mine in person if you are there today or Nick has a set allocated for me? If not, then postage will be fine. Let me know if you get this message in time.

I guess postage then as I didn't see any sign of any at the tent today. Thanks, PM me your bank details and I will make a transfer when you are ready.

OK EVERYONE .. ..

Packing/Postage comes to £4.00

If you message me your address I'll provide payment info (Bank transfer or cheque are preferred options) and get them sent off to you. 

I'm tied up with primary job all day on wednesday but will get them out a.s.a.p.

Phil K / Steve T - yours will go tomorrow as I already have your addresses.

Dave.

p.s. - there are currently a couple of sets still unsold.

Hi Ken,

Saw Dave this evening and have dropped your set into the letterbox at "hopefully" Lo**J***s

There was two white Scotties in the garden and a green covered trailer in the back, so assumed it was your place. Needs a name plate  *cop*

See you on a blat soon.

Clive

I'm off on my travels with work again tomorrow. So nothing will happen until I return.

There are 3 or 4 people on the list above who have not yet provided me with their address. I won't be sending any more brackets out until I get back next Friday - but it would be nice to have the addresses by then.

There is also one set still available for sale.

regards, Dave

Paul, I had the same problem with the hole being too small. I think the powder coating just made the hole too small, I ended up faffing about with a stepped cone cutter each side taking the coating off and using a round file to take a bit off the centre. I then found they fitted with a little pressure.

my only concern now is that the bit in the middle has no coating and could be a weak link with regard to corrosion. The only proper way would have been to drill out the hole slightly larger and re powder coat but that is a bit over the top.

i am not sure if the lamp bracket threads are different sizes in some cars or what, I am sure Dave would have checked they fitted on a sample before mass producing, has anyone else had a problem?

R300 - not a problem - send them back and I'll sned your money back.

Paul - that's strange - I checked a couple and had no issues, and the hole was sized based on bolt diameter and then measuring the thickness of coating at 4 or 5 points of a couple of items that had been done by the same coating company.  Can you estimate by how much the hole is too small ? You could definitely use a round file and open up the hole by 0.5mm on diameter before you went thru the coating. (I can't actually remember the average thickness of the coating - but could get it re-measured if that would help).

I'll try and check a pair of the ones that I have here sometime over the weekend to see if bolt passes thru without issue.

Dave

Paul, and indeed anyone else who is having minor difficulties getting the hollow bolts thru the brackets.

I have checked 6 brackets (mine + what is currently a spare pair) and on 4 of them the bolt passed thru, with slight resistence, and on another 2 it would not go thru. I spent about 30 seconds with a round file and took off 0.1-0.2mm from the inner diameter of the coating on the bracket and the bolt then passes thru OK.

Safety tip - DO NOT try and use a drill - if the bit is slightly larger than the hole then it is likely to "snatch" (dig in) and wrench the drill out of your hand. There is only a very small amount of nylon coating to remove, and a round file does it relatively easily (It could probably be removed using sandpaper wrapped around a 3/8" socket drive extension if you don't have a round file). 

Caterham would say TADTS, I put it down to very fine engineering tolerance on the metal brackets and excessive thickness variation of the nylon coating. If I ever do this again (unlikely) I'll leave a litle more tolerance for the coating,

Dave

Dave, I certainly had to remove something like 1mm maybe more and took ALL of the coating off the inside of the hole before I could get my thread through, even then I had to encourage it quite a bit by twisting a lot. Not a problem but just wanted to let you know in case others have a similar tolerance to deal with. 

Steve, WOW that's a lot. Indeed,  based upon measurements of my hollow bolt and knowing the dimensions of the original bosses (Which were all bored out at the same time) I am concerned that there may be different diameter hollow bolts to the ones on my 97 and 98 vintage cars.

If you can easily do it could you measure the o/d on one of your bolts. I'll try and compare it to mine (if I can get at them with a vernier).

(Apologies if anyone else is having such problems. The brackets were desinged to have a tight tolerance on the bolt. But not that tight that any of the coating needed to be removed, definitely not all the way down to the metal !!!! )

Dave

Hello Dave I've had the same problem, I think the problem is with after market lights, my original 7 inch lights hollow bolts fit fine but my new SVC 5 3/4 lights the hollow bolts don't. Ive ground out the plastic coating to make the the bolts fit. I will also drill the tube below the indictor to accept and hide the cables

Regards phil

One side done..Quiet straightforward, with just a touch of fettling. *smash*

The indicator pod is pretty close to the top suspension. Bouncing the car doesn't quiet make it foul, but I may need to use a small spacer and lift the lights slightly. But to do this, I've got to re-do all the electrics.

Clive