Click here if you are having website access problems ×

High Oil Pressure

martyn

Since I've started using my car again this year, I've noticed that the oil pressure is higher than normal.  Engine is a sigma 150.

Previously, it would sit just above 2 bar at hot idle.  Now I'm seeing 4-5 bar at idle.  At cruising speeds (2000-3000rpm) it's closer to 7-8 bar.  Interestingly, the pressure readings seem higher after taking the car for a drive (as opposed to just letting it idle up to temp).

The oil and filter are being changed next week, but it this likely to resolve the high pressure?  Should I be worried and is there anything I can check/change in the mean time?

Thanks.

I had two Danfoss senders fail on my Sigma.  First one failed to 0 psi, second one failed to max.  Ditched it and now use a mechanical one with a low pressure warning light.  Much happier now.  I used a braided hose to a Tee on a chassis rail with an adjustable switch and from there a hose to the new gauge.

I'm a little sceptical about the oil sender being faulty.  It does appear to work perfectly, although just a couple of bar too high.  I know the sender is a common problem on K series cars, does this carry over to sigma engines also?

Is probably time to replace it anyway.  How do I know what to buy for a straight like-for-like replacement?

I believe this is the oil sender but could be wrong..    http://caterhamparts.co.uk/product.php?id_product=3896

xlarge_IMG_20150421_161012.jpg.ee6f6570c4f0a202376527a3f774ab27.jpg