Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Fog Light Problem

Jon Stewart

I thought i would give the 7 a once over in advance of its MOT tomorrow and noticed a rear tail light and fog light were out.

I replaced the tail light light bulb and that was then ok but after replacing the fog light bulb both fog lights are now not working.

I'm a bit of a numpty when it comes to electrics so all advice will be appreciated.

Thanks.

Both fog lights * ? If they stopped after you changed a bulb ... check that unit carefully. Original CC fog light cheap and nasty and the one under the fuel filler readily disintegrates after any fuel spills. * most Sevens only have one fog light.

Probably a dodgy connection at the back then.  Mine hasnt worked for the last couple of MOT, but my tester hasnt failed it yet! On my 1996 car which doesnt have decent Econseal or similar connection blocks, usually light failure is a spade connector which has come loose, a wire has popped out of a connector, or there is corrosion on the contacts.  

Tom

Although you have toggled the switch, because we don't use them very often they get bunged up.

Carefully prise the swich off the dash and disconnect it (note the cable position). With a bit of careful work with a small screwdriver, you can dismantle the switch and give it a good clean. It is quite easy to do, but if you do b*gger it up, a replacement switch won't break the bank.

Terry

JUst a thought - but before pulling out and taking to pieces what might be a perfectly good switch, take a multimeter and see if there is 12v to the fog lamp.

Switch may be providing 12v to the fog light - and all issues at that end of the car. It's the only end that you have currently taken to pieces.

If you don't own, or have acces to, a multimeter - I'd recomment buying a cheap digital one. If you don't know how to use one then get a friend to show you. Invaluable things.

Dave

Thanks all.

Managed to get it sorted yesterday and traced it back to a blown fuse.

I think it must have been me fiddling with one of the units trying to straighten a copper tab.

Typically it was the second from last fuse i checked and they're a PITA to check with an under-dash handbrake and ECU in close proximity.