Click here if you are having website access problems ×

new tyres for class 3

Tony Smith

I am enterd as a novice in class 3 and was intending to run on my existing 15inch CR500 tyres, but after a very enthusiastic day at Llandow on Saturday I need a new set.

What do I go for?

I think that if this season goes well I may go for a set of 13inch for next season and keep  the 15s for the road?

Thanks

Tony

I've got a set of Kumho V70's. 2x 195/50 R15 in soft compound and 2x 205/50 R15 super soft. They did about 4 events last year in Class 3 before I sold the car. They generate a lot of grip. Not exactly touring tyres but they are just sitting in my garage and I'm now running 13's so they would be a lot cheaper than when I got them off Mel Williams. 

• Area Representative

Hi Tony,

Unfortunately, things are set to change with tyres for next year, due to the current list 1B tyres not being E marked :-(

Most Tyres that are currently in list 1b will move to a new  list 1C for next year.

At the moment, it is unclear what tyres we'll be able to use.

The offer above may well offer a cost effective solution to bridge the gap, other wise, I'd suggest simply replacing the CR500's like for like.

For reference, the tyres of choice are either A24 compound Avon ZZR's, or Kumho V70A's in super soft compound.

I run 215/50-13 Kumho's all around on 7.5 and 8.5 inch wheels.

Thanks  both for this, much appreciated.

My CR500's are 195/45 front and rear so i suppose that means I cant take you up on your offer.

I don't mind committing to a new set as long as I can use them on road next year and if I take to the sprinting then I guess its a set of 13inch for the 2016 season with whatever the new tyres turn out to be.

Sorry if any of this is daft as its all a very new world to me!!!

For a 15 inch wheel that is the standard size for CR500's. The tyres will fit 15 inch wheels which are 6.5inches wide. Which wheels have you got. I ran them on 10 spoke anthracites last season. 

The 195/50 is a little taller so reduces the clearance under the cycle arches but they fitted mine without any need for manipulation. 205 wide on the back fitted fine. 

They made a big difference in feel as well as time. I gained at least a couple of seconds round Curborough. 

If if you look at last year's times after Aintree I ran Kumho's and Phil Matchwick stayed on CR500's. We were both novices.

whereabouts are you?

if there are any other novices reading this thinking of class 3 running 15inch wheels, my tyres are going to waste and they cost me about £500. Would take £200 maybe less for an enthusiastic novice. 

• Area Representative

Tony,

I would echo James' comments.

Whilst there is a slight potential loss of performance due to higher ride height and gearing, the gain from the better tyres will vastly out weigh that.

The only word of caution would be clearance on the wing stays at the front.

Are your wings glued or bolted in position? If they are bolted, its easier to remove the wings, bend the stays a little, and refit the wings.

• Support Team

Sorry to disagree with Mark *biglaugh* but soft or super soft Kumho are fine on the road. Before we got a trailer, Gill and I used to do 6000 miles a year and a full double driven season on one set. Admittedly they probably wouldn't have passed an MOT at the end of the season, but unless you drive like a nutter on the road, you should get a season out of a set. I would try the offered set above and if they don't survive the whole season, it is at least more likely that we will know what is going on for next year by then.

The offer above sounds ideal.

But....   an alternative would be to fit list 1A tyres to your 15" wheels and run for a season in class 2, and then move up to class 3 using 13" wheels/tyres when the tyre situation is clearer next season. 1A tyres/15" wheels can then be used as a road set. Downsides - grip levels on 1A tyres are "challenging" if you are more used to CR500s, plus I don't think there is a clear List 1A 15" tyre of choice yet, now that Yoko AD08s are unavailable.

AB

I did a track day on super softs on Sunday.  *bowtie*

Tyres like new once again (they looked prety awful before the day and I do have some footage of my first run around Pembrey that would confirm the first session grip = well there isn't any *eek*

However I did nonly complete 5 5 lap runs all day!

• Area Representative

Likewise, when I ran list 1a tyres (Stunner Scudo's or Bridgestone RE720's) I found that they would soon overheat and start to slide on track days.

That said, Llandow does take it out of any tyre!

Wow, thanks everyone, sooooo much info!!!!!!!

I have had trouble with the CR500's touching the wing stays (Mark helped me out at Curbrough last year with some spacers) and they are glued so thats a consideration.

They will be used for road, track days and sprints this year, then just road so perhaps CR500's again but I have been told  that they have been discontinued so then perhaps ZZR is a good compromise.

And I will change to 13inch for next season?

Thanks again for all your help.

Hi Tony,

I did a season on Yokohama AO48s, known to be a 'slow' tyre in these events.  However, it didn't matter a jot as it was a learning year for me.  A set of CR500s would be fine if you want to just fit one set and leave them on for everything for the year.  It's a tricky decision, I grant you.

Oli

Thanks Oli

Yes its very tricky and I know its very much a toe in water year for me.

My instinct is to go for CR500 and stick with what I know, but they have been discontinued and I  believe the replacement is ZZS as a good all round tyre, although ZZR is better for sprinting.

It looks like ZZS for me as long as they do 195/45 as 50 will rub on the front wing stay.

How is it this complected?