Click here if you are having website access problems ×

FIA Rollbar

Matt Shears

**Advice required**

I have now owned my 1.8vvc for 5 months so its fair to say I am not an "old hand" at things Caterham.

I have looked at some of the previous topics regarding an FIA approved rollbar and I am still as confused as I was before.

I am doing the Novices track day at Silverstone on 01/03/03 and need to get an FIA rollbar beforehand. I am not sure if I need the standard FIA or the tall version. It appears that my hood will not fit the tall version so I would like to avoid it if possible however I am 6ft3' and my car has leather Caterham seats which I believe sit fairly high.

Can anyone offer advice as to how I should measure which FIA rollbar I will need before I waste my time purchasing the wrong one. With Caterham sales shut at the weekend I may find it difficult to get down to the showroom to sit in one of their cars with an FIA rollbar.

Secondly is fixing the new rollbar a straightforward DIY job?

Many Thanks

Matt.

At 6'3" and leather seats you have no chance of being underneath either the standard bar or the FIA bar. Quick fix is to remove the leather seat base and sit on the floor of the car. This will allow you to get away with a standard FIA bar until such time as you get a more suitable seat (which should be on your priority list as it will give you more space between legs and pedals and will make everything much more comfortable. The secret is to have a properly reclined seat. Try the "seat base removed" thing in the garage now and you will see how much space it frees up.

I'm 6ft and have a std FIA bar fitted. With a helmet on and leather seats I am JUST legal for the 5cm measurement. I'm a 34" trouser leg so am relatively short in the body.

The FIA bar is 15" high when measured from the fixing point on the frame to the top of the bar.

So, all things being equal my suggestions would be to get someone to measure your height in the car both with the seat and sitting in the floor without the seat base. The second measurement will indicate if you can get away with a seat pad or DIY foam seat.

Remember that a crash helmet will add at least 3cm to your height. Different helmets have different thicknesses.

Matt

I sympathise. I'm 6/4 with short (34'' ! )legs and in my SV I can't get clearance with a standard FIA bar so I made a foam base for trackdays which is very very thin under my 🙆🏻 but gives good under thigh support. I have spare foam mix if you want some ( I'm based in Streatham Hill ). I'm investigating a tillet seat as I understand they do a bigger mode....can't fit in the ordinary one even though I'm not that heavy *mad*

Let me know if I can help.

Jan

Thanks Jan.

I also have a 34" leg measurement. I have to admit that until I posted this email I was not aware I had a problem in the car but thinking about it my legs are tight around the steering wheel and up to the pedals.

Like yourself I will also be looking into a new seat - I assume I will not have too many problems weighing less than 90kg.

Its good of you to offer the foam mix, how does it come and where do you get it from? Do you remove your normal seatbase and put the foam base in without touching anything else?

Matt.

Search the archive (select search above) for foam seats info.

Basically what I did with some help was fill a heavy duty plastic bag with a modest amount of gunk, seal it with tape, sit on it whilst it sets to your shape and that's it. Make sure you cover the cockpit with protective plastic as this stuff does not come off if it attaches itself to inappropriate surfaces. It don't look pretty but if only for trackdays who cares *wink*

You can buy mail order from these guys but I repeat Imay well have sufficient for your needs.

Jan

http://www.cfsnet.co.uk/acatalog/CFS_Catalogue_FOAMS_14.html

Doug

If you are able to make it to my neck of the woods in the Seven that would be great, alternatively I could pop over to Carlshalton. Let me know.

Jan

The foam seat base sounds perfect for the time being, are you happy for me to use your existing mix? If so what is the best way to organise this?

Thanks

Matt.

If you are keeping the seat and just changing the base then Oxted suggest buying the empty plastic seat base (a modest fee) and fitting the foam into that.

Since the foam is cheap I think that I will try doing without the seat base, blanking off bits of the seat with duck tape for moulding and then make a foam seat base.

Matt

might be an idea to get hold of the blank seat base (as Svendriver suggests)as almost certainly will help produce a neater creation. if you go this route I'll have one too 😳

drop me an email and we can arrange a get together at my place some weekend very soon and you can have some of my foam mix.

Cheers

jan

Guys

All of your comments have been very helpful. I will get a blank seat base and try the foam method. Jan - do you want me to sort 2 out then I could bring to your place.

Doug - a sit in your car with the FIA bar would still be useful. Can I ask how much Redline are charging + are you having it spray painted?

Cheers

Matt.

Matt

Chairman Keith did a foam seat using the plastic base, for his R500. He had a couple of attempts before he was entirely happy with the fit and comfort of the foam, but then had it covered in leather by Oxted. The finished product looks very good, Keith swears that it has lowered the height of his head in the car, and it is remarkably comfortable to sit in.

Matt

If you could sort out a blank seat base for me that would be great but remember I am an SV (with standard leather seats) presumably the bases are bigger like our backsides 😬

I'm no expert with the foam but gladly like to try and make a couple of bases for you and me.

Cheers

Jan

It would be nice (make that bloody useful) if there was an extra hight FIA bar for the SV, Caterham don't do one but does anybody know who might as I'd rather have a taller bar anyway, (scraping legal could be very bad for your hair *eek*).

Car turned up today.......... *smile*

Still wondering when my low flying is going to turn up.

• Support Team

Jan

I've just fitted an FIA bar to my SV and was told that the standard FIA bar on an SV IS a tall bar. It fits under the hood because the hood is higher than the standard car's. This is also bourne out because the standard boot cover also fits the FIA bar perfectly.

Rob

Rob

I didn't know that but even with the tall FIA on my SV and with the ordinary seat base in I do not have the necessary clearance with a crash helmet on. Last year I made a foam base which is fine for track outings but no good for long journeys.

matt

keep me posted and look forward to hearing from you. We will need some dry weather unless you have acces to a garage.

jan

Matt

If you need an alternative local view I'm in West Byfleet and work in Kingston.

Started off with std. seats (like you) in my 1.6K and a std FIA rollbar. I was v.concerned that @ 6'2" I was unsafe and illegal. I switched to a Tillet which put me "in" the car more and got me significantly lower. Improved things even more by junking the runners and mounting the seat directly to the floor with the front tilted well up. Now feels great - only flaw is lack of adjustability. You're v. welcome to meet up and try it out!

David

V7 HPD

As Peter says I (6'3" 97kgs, 33" legs) have made a foam base for the standard leather seats, which sits me in the car better and gives the correct clearance. You woun't believe how much difference it makes if you sit as low in the car as Chapman intended. It is the no. 1 upgrade people should do for their car. If you want to see/try in your car, you are welcome to come round (near Caterham).