Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tillett Seat - Stripped Thread

martyn

How annoying!

So the threadded hole in the base of the seat has stripped.  It wasn't even being torqued up tight at the time.

What are my options here?  Has anyone tried a helicoil on a seat before?  The design of the seat makes me doubtful it will work well.  There isn't a lot of metal to thread into.

I'm not sure a photo will help too much in showing the detail inside the hole.

Looking in the other good holes, there are only 3 or 4 turns of thread in them, the rest appears to be some sort of glue (maybe). That’s what I mean when I say there isn't a lot of metal to work with.

IMG_20150318_154102.jpg.f842bb770a50b898c09ba9d3421c8b9b.jpg

No access to the other side.  What you're looking at there is effectively set a block in GRP.  Although the hole goes much deeper than the metal thread.  I've got no idea how the metal is held in place. Presumably bonded in some way.

Yeah, I've been in contact with Tillett via email and Steve has just this minute replied.  Seems there is some repair possible if I send the seat to them...

"we can cut open the back frame and bond in a new fitting, but this leaves you with a patch over the hole"

Sounds quite drastic, but I haven’t followed up for any more info on that yet.

Firstly I'm going to try re-tapping the thread.  Hopefully that'll clean up whatever thread is left.  With the help of some thread locker I'm optimistic that it might result in a secure enough fixture.