Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K-series dry sump installation questions

Albert Donaldson

After slowly gathering the bits for a dry sump install (cc type non bellhouse tank) I have a couple of questions on the fitting. I understand that the scavenge pump empties the sump and the original oil pump acts as the pressure stage. Normally the (engine) oil pump would pick up from the sump how does this get converted in a dry sump install. I've waded through 30 pages of archives but can't find anything. Has anyone written a conversion guide or know of any threads to explain?

Thanks,

Albert

• Support Team

It's a pretty straightforward install although a long time since I did it (now have a Duratec). The new sump pan has an exit for the scavenge pump and an inlet from the tank. There is a small sleeve that goes between the sump pan and the engine block which joins the new sump pan inlet to the existing pressure pump inlet - a very neat solution. The kit does come with some basic fitting instructions which someone might have. I might still have them lying around somewhere but no idea where.

Several club members have passed on to me an excellent document listing all the parts as well as detailed instructions on the Caterham/Titan gold pump non-belltank install, i.e. the setup with the external tank in front of the passenger's feet. I've not actually forked out the £1450+VAT for the kit yet!

If you would like a copy, drop me a message with your email address and I'll forward it to you.

Albert, apologies for the slight thread hijack, but I'm looking at something similar at the moment, however unlike you I haven't managed to gather all the bits yet *weeping*. I am looking to go the Brise kidney tank setup as I don't want to lose the passenger footwell. 

Anyway my question is that given the scarcity and expense of Dry Sump pans is there any reason why a normal Caterham sump pan couldn't be converted to use with a dry sump? I realise you'd need to insert somewhere for the scavenge system (maybe the current sump plug) and also the oil feed back and get a different sleeve made up to connect to the oilway. 

Am I missing something and this wouldn't work for some reason? Just contemplating alternatives really.

Appreciate any views. 

Graham. 

Although the Caterham Parts site always says that a new Rover dry sump pan is out of stock, it might be worth a call to them. When I spoke to Tony a few months back, he was confident that all of the bits were still available. Just a matter of time as to when they will be available.

Anyway, I've just remembered that I've got the document in my Dropbox. The link is below:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/yg86hgatsxl94eu/Procedure_for_fitting_a_CC_external_tank_Dry_Sump_System.pdf?dl=0

I was thinking along the same lines of using the original sump, but was not confident of this route due to being unsure about the oil pick up for the engines oil pump, I was also thinking of using the apollo tank as a reservoir, however have decided not to. On the stock list at caterham parts the sumps go from 1 to 0 stock as soon as they have them it seems, there appears to be high demand at the moment, I have missed 3 in the last month but got lucky yesterday....