Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tarting up my boot - tips required please

Smithy77

My ex-academy S3 was supplied with all the boot carpet by the previous owner and it has been sitting loose in the boot for a year now. I want to get round to fitting it, and I also wouldn't mind fitting some luggage hooks of some description so I can bungee strap things down to prevent dents in the rear panel.

- Firstly, I've read in some of the archives that some people cut the boot floor in half to aid removal when required. Is this a worth while mod? What is under there (other than the fuel tank) / why might one want to remove it regularly?

- What is the best stuff to use to adhere the carpet?

- What luggage hooks are best, and what would be the best type of fixings to use? 

- The cowel / cover for the fuel filler neck was loose /rattling and held down with a single screw. I've since removed it, but again, what are the best fixings to use for this? 

Welcome any tips/suggestions.

Thanks

Firstly, I've read in some of the archives that some people cut the boot floor in half to aid removal when required. Is this a worth while mod?

Some members' slide in out and easily, others need help. For the latter surgery should help.

What is under there (other than the fuel tank) / why might one want to remove it regularly?

Access to the diif for topping up etc, letting more light through when you're underneath... and possibly some of the mysterious rituals of polishers? 

What is the best stuff to use to adhere the carpet?

For carpet backing to ply I'd use Copydex or similar.

- What luggage hooks are best, and what would be the best type of fixings to use?

Something like this that folds down, but the recessed bit is irrelevant on carpet.

http://thumbs1.ebaystatic.com/d/l225/m/mp0wXAVbr5G5QBA4g_Ckdng.jpg

Do you need any Tool Tubes?

Jonathan

Just on the luggage hooks, I intend to use stainless flush-mounted D-rings. This kind of thing

I want something that recesses out of the way, but doesn't rattle when it's not being used. 

/sites/default/files/images/users/11790/medium_2507-flush-mount-stainless-d-rings-recessed-stainless-steel-rope-ring_1_640.jpg

Ned

I have doubled  my boot floor and built into the lower floor a large shallow tray into which I  place tools etc which remain hidden under the top floor.  Depending upon model you should have a gap of abour 2.5 -3"  into which the tray will hang.  I think I had a photo of it in LF about five years ago. 

Thanks for all the helpful comments *smile*

Jonathan - I guess I'll have a go at removing my boot floor before doing it to see how easy it is to remove; hopefully a straight forward task. Also, I have put in an order for two tool tubes in the group buy thread *thumbup*

The recessed lashing hooks above are definitely the sort of thing I'm after - thanks for the link Ned. Presumably, when people use these you make full depth cut outs in the boot floor for flush fitting?

Stewart - Thanks for the heads up about the non return valve!

7 Wonders - It just so happens I'm having new carpet fitted this weekend. I might try and scavenge some underlay off cuts as this seems like a good idea; we're using the 8mm foam stuff. Oh but the added weight?!?!? *scratchchin*

Ian B - The non-slip matting had already crossed my mind actually. Think I might use this instead of carpet for the floor

Cheers

The recessed lashing hooks above are definitely the sort of thing I'm after... Presumably, when people use these you make full depth cut outs in the boot floor for flush fitting?

I'm lazy and was thinking of fitting them on top of the carpet without cut-outs and without recessing (which slightly changes the preferred design). But cut-outs and recessng would be neater...

Jonathan

Looking at lashing rings, I think the type linked to above might be a bit on the large side and OTT regarding their duty rating? Not to mention the added weight *rolleyes*

Would something like this be a bit more suitable? They are not spring loaded but as the ring will be resting on carpet/non-slip mat, do you think they will give any vibration/rattles? 

Agreed on the size of the D-rings. Smaller, stainless, but I'm going to seek out spring loaded.

There are two varieties - one sits on top, and the other needs to be recessed. Both are flush, to some degree. I'm planning on sit-on-top, to avoid butchering the chassis any more than necessary.

Once I've found the right thing (a chandlers is the place), I'll post a proper link/pic.

Thanks

N

It just so happens I'm having new carpet fitted this weekend. I might try and scavenge some underlay off cuts as this seems like a good idea; we're using the 8mm foam stuff.

I'd suggest foam would be better than the felt type underlay, as the boot can get wet so foam would be less likelt to soak up and retain water.

Ned - totally agree with you. Small, stainless, springloaded and flush but non-recessed would be perfect. Difficult to find so far; I'm either finding MASSIVE springloaded ones, or little ones without the spring... keep me posted on what you find!

Revilla - you make it sound like my 7 is a heap of junk! *irked* *laugh*

Best I've found are these, but they are still recessed and on the bulky side.

I'm thinking possibly something like this might be better? OK, yes it will stick up 1/2 inch, but half dozen or so of these around the perimeter of the floor wouldn't really get in the way. At least they most definitely wouldn't rattle, which you couldn't say for certain with springloading types...