Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Thermostat change k series

RS2000

standard 1600 K series 2006

I'm going to remove/test/replace/etc the thermostat and I have some questions about that process. From online pics and looking at my car the thermostat fits inside a black plastic housing

The housing appears to be a push fit into the 'block' (appeciate it may or may not be the block but you know what I mean) and is secured in place by a single bolt (which also keeps the dipstick in place). Then the 2 parts of the housing itself are joined together with 3 bolts.

So having undone the single securing bolt, do I need to remove the whole housing from the car, or is it 'usual/possible' to undo the 3 bolts and split the housing whilst still in plce on the car?

If fully remove and then split, do I need a new O ring for refitting the housing into the 'block'?

Is there a gasket between the 2 parts of the housing?

Thanks!

It is easier to remove the whole housing to get at the thermostat. Check bore of hole in engine is smooth and clean before refitting. Should be able to reuse the o-ring and the rubber ring round the thermostat. Make sure the 3mm hole will be at the top when fitted. Double check before drilling.