Click here if you are having website access problems ×

New R400 arriving next month - suspension question

craigyb

There are a few things I would mention:

Rear toe/camber - is not adjustable. The DeDion is supposed to be straight ahead and the camber is set by the ears. In reality, they vary a bit and need shimming to setup as per spec.

Front toe/camber/castor - front toe should be pretty well right for road use. Camber should also be measured but camber (and therefore toe) are dependent on the weight in the car so will be approximations. Castor will be based on the washer settings.

Corner weights - can only really be set with you (or equivalent weight) in the car.

From the factory it might be close, or it might be a long way away, only really know when you get it on some scales and string up the suspension.

• Area Representative

Kit or factory built?

Either way whoever constructs the front suspension will no doubt use the same 'guestimation' of turns in for the top wishbone ball joints as per the build manual.

So the front end camber, to say the least, will possibly be way out requiring adjustment. Then of course the wheel toe will have to be adjusted.

Then at the same time it is a good idea to get the corner weights set up......I would advise at least 1000+ miles to allow everything to settle in.

Back end is set at construction as per the thread(s) above.

It's factory built, though I've ordered it through Jon at Millwoods.

Just a point, Geoff, when you say 1000 miles to settle in, do you mean before you get the flat flooring done, or after?

I'm not expecting things to be perfect from the factory due to the variables of how the car is used, weight of driver(don't ask), etc.

Appreciate the advice here, and good that it is directly answering my questions, without too much extra fluff and conjecture that so often comes on forums.

• Area Representative

Yes give the car at least 1000 miles to shake down. Then the suspension attachments amongst other 'critical attachments' require to be torque checked (iaw the Caterham service schedule).

After that it is a good time to pop it on a flat floor & get the geometry set up. You will be surprised how way out the front end could be!

Do you live anywhere near Oxfordshire?  I took my R400 to  Solutions Racing, Witney. Peter Mansell who runs the company knows his stuff & will set up the car to standard or to your requirements/driving style. He does a collection/delivery service but you must be within a reasonable radius of about 20-30 miles from Witney.

He is a determined man as he would not relent trying to get a 50/50 front to rear weight distribution & had to give up on 45/55.

Price is reasonable for a full set up. POA - 01865 300830