Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Mechanical oil pressure gauge (Think Auto)

green george

Use a loose bit of cable a couple of metres long. Connect it to each connector at the engine end in turn, then use your meter on the cable ends in the cockpit. The single wire works by using earth connection through the engine block.

A stepped drill will make a better hole as the bigger you go with single bit the more likely they will tend to tear and deform the Ali.

Also, make sure the wiring loom is clear behind the dash before you drill *eek*

• 2 weeks later...

I don't understand all the thread, I don't have a diagram in front of me, I've never done this, and it's been a long day, but here goes...

White/ Brown should be gauge to sensor, and Green should be switched feed to gauge. Which is what you did. If it blew a fuse the resistance is too low somewhere. So...

1. How does a two-terminal sensor work?
  2. What's the resistance of that warning lamp?

Jonathan

So if(!) I follow the wiring diagram in the assembly guide correctly...

Engine loom: Oil pressure to grey plug pin 8 is Yellow/red - as per my pic.

Main vehicle loom: Pin 8 is White/brown.

So I think that side is correct.

If I'm reading this correctly, green is the power feed coming off Fuse 2 (dash).

So I think I had the correct wires. Wonder if i just made a bum connection somehow?

(remember my signature on old BlatChat was "Hamfisted idiot on a cramped garage"? Well nothing has changed)

Hi Nigel

It sounds like you have it wired correctly, Green is the switched live for the gauge but can be used for the light, white/ brown is the sender wire from the grey joint plug. I'm presuming the sender has two wires, one Yellow/red the other to earth. There are sometimes some unprotected lives floating around under the scuttle, maybe one of those shorted, it's easily done (speaks from experience *smile* )

Thanks JK and F355

Joints remade with oodles of insuation and light works fine now .*woohoo*

In Revilla's vid

his pressure seems to go down to 25PSI. After an hours running so engine nice and warm, oil levels checked, mine is sitting at 50PSI at idle, climbing to 65PSI under load. Should I be concerned as this is higher?