Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K Series Thermostat

RS2000

Hi All,

I run a standard ex academy 2006 1600 K series. I am going to remove / test / modify (3mm hole) / replace the thermostat.

I use on road only

Why do some change to a 82 degree thermostat rather than the original 88 degree one?

What are the advantages/disadvantages of such a swap?

Thanks

First off I presume you've fitted a thermostat as academy cars don't have one fitted as standard.  I've just put an 82c one (with a 2mm hole) in mine. As the K series thermostat sits on the block inlet (rad outlet) I figured opening at a lower temp could only be a good thing to smooth out the flow. The gauge sits a fraction over 80c now.  One other thing to watch out for - the academy cars have the race fan switch fitted which cuts the fan in at 70-something, a bit low for road use I think.

Thanks both, so it seems to be a good idea to put an 82 degree thermostat in. After it's year being on the academy circuit it was 'softened' by caterham, carpet, heater, FIA bar etc and appears to have a thermostat and non race fan switch

So where can I get an 82degree stat from?

Any motor factor should have one, or somewhere like eurocarparts. You want a Quinton Hazel QTH100 or QTH100K (K meaning kit, paper gaskets in various shapes and sizes.)  It doesn't come with the rubber seal, only paper gaskets so you'll need to order seperately or reuse the one you have now.

Online you can get one for 8 quid from ebay seller micksgarage_uk, item number 161356330201 for a genuine boxed QTH100K.

Where not to: spareforminis on ebay who show a picture of a quinton Hazel box and then sent me a loose Firstline one in a jiffy bag.

If you're changing the thermostat I can't recommend the QED remoted thermostat housing enough.

It locates in the top hose and therefore reacts to the heat of the engine better and reduces the "thermal shock" to the head gasket when the rush of cold water from the radiator hits the head.

I fitted one recently and the car runs at temp absolutely perfectly ( it came with a slightly lower temp thermostat, 82 or 84 degrees I think?)

The added bonus is that bleeding the cooling system is a dream - no effort at all.

They're not cheap at £125.00 but worth every penny in my opinion.