Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Broken rear arb

johnnyseven

Went to do a bit of work on my vx and found the rear arb end bracket where it attaches to the bar snapped off- well it's completely gone- the ball jointed bit that is bolted to the rear was just hanging.                         Is this a comon problem?-- caterham are out of stock-- anyone got one for a vx (9/16th) that needs a new home?

Have broken a few in my 23 years ownership of my vx, there isn't a lot of metal to weld to the bar so it does make it a weak spot, check that the drop link are as short as possible as I found that the bar did touch the chassis on upward movement, on the sus turret, this was causing premature breakage, have some pics somewhere, will have a look see if I can find.

John

mine broke in the same fashion when the car was still under warranty but the replacement has been fine since (~18 years)

if you took the remains of the bar to a local engineering firm they'd probably make and weld on a new end bar for less than the cost of a new one.  Easy to do as they have the other end to use as a pattern.

The drop links need to be set so that there's no torsional load on the bar when normally loaded, i.e. when you're in the car.  I found that 42 house bricks in the driving seat simulates my weight for suspension adjustments.

Paul *byebye*

I presume it's the original arb as I've got all invoices from new- caterham show it on the website - but out of stock(really lol)- I will give redline a call on Monday- if no joy their then I will try Paul's suggestion-- oh yes-- 42 bricks -- are they light weight with the wholes in them or the heavier ones Paul?*biggrin*

Check you links are aligned and moving freely I broke two in quick succession and that was because the links were not even on either side and one was a bit stiff . I now strip and clean every year repack with grease and check they are the same length .. Not a failure in years , that. Of course will mean a failure on the next run *frown*

I have managed to find one from caterham- it's 1/2" rather than 9/16th - also got the drop link that was broke -I was looking at alcester racing web site as they had a guide to stripping the back end of the car down- but it doesn't seem to be on their site now-- is there a guide for dismantling the back end anywhere that I could follow?