Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Tyre (Puncture) Repair Spray

SBD762

I do not carry a spare wheel. 

Does anyone know how long a can of puncture repair spray lasts?

I have had a can of Wynns Tyre Repair Spray that was in the boot of my car when I bought it 3 years ago. Probably had been there since the previous owner bought the car in 2007!!!??

I have no idea how good it would be in "action' if required. But I'd rather carry one than not at all. 

So I am about to throw this one away unless they are ever lasting ..........

Does anyone know?

Before you say I'm too tight to buy a new one, it's not that, I was cleaning the car out today and thought what's the point of me having this in the boot if of no use at all *argue*

Utterly useless and one of the great con tricks of the last few years from car manufacturers. I've been driving for forty years and have NEVER had a puncture that a can of splurge could have helped with.

My wife bought a C-Max last year and we were given the usual spiel when I asked about the spare wheel - "not necessary", "this can will get you home", etc. I made my wife refuse to accept the car without agreement to supply a space saver when she signed the paperwork. She berated me on the way home for not believing the salesman until we passed an abandoned Mini with a shredded tyre (yes that honestly happened and it gave me a warm feeling of smug satisfaction of which I should have been ashamed, but wasn't).

And then, on Christmas Eve a few days ago, I managed to rip the sidewall out of one of the rear tyres on a bizzarely placed kerbstone in a car park. No chance whatsoever of a can fixing that one, but I was able to fit the space saver and drive to a tyre supplier just before they closed for Christmas.

This is all about cost cutting by manufacturers and the public goes along with it, seemingly in part because a lot of people now take pride in not knowing how to fix or maintain anything.

No idea how long a can lasts but I agree with Roger, punctures are either unfixable or something like a nail which let out so little air you can normally pump it up and drive home before fixing anyway.

I too have a can of something in my Supersport and a few times wondered if I could retro-fit a spare wheel carrier on the back - my Caterham is for purely road use, not track. Does anyone know if this can be done?

My can had an expiry date on it, and I decided to replace it just in case.

I've used one of those stop'n'go tyre plugger kits. I had a nail in my tyre, removed it, sealed the hole reinflated it and it didn't lose any air until I replaced the tyre (which was nearly worn out anyway).

So if I get another small puncture, I'll be using that kit and the compressor I carry instead of the goo.

Duncan