Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Spell check as default

Paul Deslandes

• 4 weeks later...
  • Area Representative

From the spelling I see on BC, most errors will not be picked up because posters use "quite" when they mean "quiet", "there" when they might mean "their" or "they're", (just examples).

When I was 7 I had an interview and could not work out how to spell "egg". When I was 11 my headmaster described me as "an intelligent unspelligent" because my spelling was noticably poorer than that of my peers. So I worked on it.

I don't use a spell checker. I reread my work before posting and pick up, then correct, infelicities, inaccurate typing and spolling stimakes. *tongue*

• 9 months later...

Is part of the problem that this text area we type our comments in not a real html textarea control? This seems to be why Firefox won't spell check comments for me - it doesn't think there is anything there to spell check.

The brute force fix would be to strip out all the web spell checking. Given all modern mainstream browsers on PCs, tablets and phones spell check and most people have their device set to auto check it's an idea.

Alternatively if the comments box could be made a real html text input control you'd get a good compromise.

The red underscore spelling error indicator, as used in Word etc. would be nice as it can be acted upon or ignored, as one wishes.  I hate predictive text as this can lead to the most appalling nonsense, although the iOS version does work remarkably well.

Whether or not the spell checker is active by default, please can we have 'English' English as the default language?

• Area Representative

I have fallen foul of the Android auto-correction. It didn't like compostable, for example and I missed the auto-miscorrection. There are other misinterpretations but at other times it has saved me embarrassment.

It's my fault for using a smartphone more often than a laptop.