Click here if you are having website access problems ×

radius arm bushes !!!

stuart147

Stripped various bits off the back end of car to get then re-powdercoated. Removing the old bushes looks like it could be a problem on the radius arms. The metal that they are encased in does not look strong enough to take much force or abuse with a press. I know that the hard way is to cut the rubber from them and saw them out. If the worse comes to the worse, does anyone know if new arms are supplied with the bushes already fitted. For the cost of new ones it hardly seems wort the effort to remove old ones.

Any tips on removing bushes from A-Frame and De-dion tube would be appreciated.

Stuart

I changed all my bushes about a year ago.  It needed a 10 ton press to get them out and even that was difficult. Also required was a cup shaped piece to support the metal round the bush and accept the bush as it came out. I removed the one in the De dion tube by drilling out the rubber with a 3 mm drill then carefully sawing the metal surround. Not a pleasant job on your back under the car.

For the cost I would just buy new radius arms. For the rest it's helpful if you can get the assistance of a local machine shop.

Here is what I wrote at the time, but my pictures seem to have got lost.

http://www.lotus7.club/forum/techtalk/changing-suspension-bushes-probably-dont-try-home

• 3 weeks later...

Went and fetched my rear A Frame and Dedion tube back today after having them stripped, powder coated and rebushed by Arch. What a fantastic job they have made of them and at a very reasonable cost. I also had a pair of.new radius arms off them as old ones uneconomical to service. All in all, very pleased with the job and well worth having the work carried out by Arch.

stuart