Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Problems with fuel supply

Grovewood

Hi, I have 1989 crossflow its giving me a few problems with the fuel supply when i drive it after about 15min it starts to choke it slows down to almost stopping then slowly it starts again and goes for a few mils and does the same again, could it be the carburetors or a blockage in the fuel line, (i fitted a new fuel filter) has anyone come across this problem any advice would be appreciated thanks in advance.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi, i haven't solved my problem?,i think it maybe the fuel pump it tends to stop going up hill when i turn it around it goes again until the next hill, would gravity keep a car going on the flat?, i going to order a new pump a give it a go unless someone has any other suggestions, Thanks in advance.

• Area Representative

In the 80's, Caterham had some issues with some sort of fuel tank sealant getting sucked into the fuel line and causing problems. I had it with my 85 Super Sprint many years ago and managed to remove a hole load of sealant.

Disconnect both ends of the fuel line and use an air line from the engine end to clear the line out. A foot pump will also work, which is what I used.

Also check you have no in-line fuel filter that is blocked.

Piers

Tony,

I had a similar problem, which  caused the engine to die and then cut out, we traced it to a faulty coil.  It got very hot to touch which I am told is a sure sign of failure.   Another possible long shot is that the  throttles are briefly sticking open, flooding the engine.  I had this due to the nipple at the top end of the throttle cable becoming dislodged which prevented the cable returning until my foot was completely off of the pedal.

Good luck

I may have solved the problem, i fitted a new fuel pump and disconnect both ends of the fuel line and using a air line to clear (as Piers suggested) the fuel line, i went out for a quick blat fingers crossed it went ok, i want to thank all of you for your suggestions they have been a great help, Merry Xmas to all.