Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oil leak from underneath cam cover (Sigma)

FramerateUK

So for the first time in 2 years of ownership my 7 has left oil on the garage floor.

I fired it up earlier and noticed that it's leaking oil from the (gasket?) between the plastic cam cover and the head.

Anyone else had this issue? There's no coolant contamination in the oil - it's clean. It's hard to say how much is coming out, but there were a few drips when I let the engine run for a few minutes earlier, and it's definately dripped out since it last mooved (which must be about a month! We've had horrid weather here!).

I'm hoping this will be a simple issue of getting a new gasket?

Had this on my car when I first got it, changed the gasket and still had a slight leak, it turned out to be the breather pipe, which was just pushed onto the plastic cam cover, I put a jubilee clip on it and no more leaks in the last 3 years

It looks like it's all coming from the seal between the plastic cover and the head, and seems to be seeping out even when the engine isn't running.

I've put a photo here:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B0aPhI7kxHmESUtDeEJYTFF4TzA/view?usp=sharing

The area marked in blue is where the oil is leaking out (it doesn't show on the photo but it's all over the head underneath) and I can see it pooling on the bit of metal marked in red after the car has been sat for a while.

Also looking a the photo, the bolt holding the cam cover seems to have a lot of oil on it.    Is it possible you have a problem with the breathing?   There is a breather on the cam cover and one on the side of the block below the intake, are these blocked in any way? 

I would be changing the cam cover gasket anyway, but got to be worth a check. 

Chris.

I have to admit, I'm a bit out of my depth when it comes to engine problems - I don't know which pipes are the breather pipes, and how would I go about finding a blockage?

If I was to order a new gasket, does anyone have a link to the correct one? I can't seem to find one on the Caterham site, I guess I could go direct to Ford?

Local ford dealer would be able to supply.   

Caterham link for the gasket http://www.caterhamparts.co.uk/product.php?id_product=4259

The top breather is on the pipe on the cam cover, so this is nice and simple to take off and make sure its not blocked. 

The breather on the side of the block is under the inlet manifold.   If your sigma is a 150, it can be seen removed and cleaned or replaced, but with a 125 / 140 I suspect you will need to remove the inlet.   

A quick google search of zetec se breather will show you images of the plastic breather on the side of the block, on this page http://www.turbosport.co.uk/showthread.php?t=145051&page=4

Your breather might have been routed to a catch tank, if it is have you emplied it recently?

I replaced my 2011 block breather at the begining of the year, it has been modified by ford, but for what reason I dont know.   I know my sigma likes to breath, a lot, when its being pushed, and I have read on here sigma supersports can blow thier dip sticks out, which means there must be a bit of pressure there. 

Hi Chris,

Thanks very much for taking the time to help me out! My mistake with the Caterham site was searching for "gasket" and not seal, I'll get one of those ordered.

Mine's a 140 without a catch tank, but I'll check out th breathers and see if there are any issues.

I'll probably give this a go myself soon, I'm keen to get my hands dirty with as much of the car as possible. Otherwise, it's due its service and MOT in Jan/Feb anyway so I could get it looked at then.

thanks,

Andy

Good point about the oil weep at the top of the cover bolt - well spotted.  Are the other bolts oil-free?

The only way oil can emerge from there is by working its way up the bolt hole.  That suggests a gasket leak nearby, which could be due to poor assembly or, more likely, excess internal pressure.  The latter points to a breather/breathing problem.  And if that's the case, simply replacing the gasket isn't going to be a long-term fix.

JV

If you plan to do some basic DIY work on the engine, a Haynes manual will be a help.  I think this is the one: http://www.haynes.co.uk/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=10001&productId=48451&langId=-1, but if I'm wrong, no doubt another Sigma owner will be along shortly to put me straight.

By the way, did we meet up at Pembrey in Sep last year? If so, I was in the black R400D at the other end of the paddock (along with my son-in-law in his red 1.8K SS-R).  Foul weather, as I recall -- at least, in the morning.

JV

Would be good to know if its got a catch tank fitted, or is the crank case vent / breather being fed back into the engine?    Do you know? 

If not can you trace the hose that comes off the middle of the cam cover (inlet side), where does it go?   Into what looks like a very dirty washer bottle?

There's definately no catch tank, it all feeds back into the engine.

Unfortunately the car doesn't live with me, so fixing any issues tends to take a while! I'll hopefully get some photos this week or on the weekend. It seems to be only on that side of the engine, the other side looked clean, but without seeing it in front of me, I can't really remember.

However, it's the area around that bolt that's leaking the most. That's where I was finding drips on the floor.

Been pondering why some supersports have a catch tank and some don't.  Afaik all supersports from my vintage 2012 have a catch tank.   Mine does need an empty every now and then.  Others have commented that the 140s do like to breath. 

I am sure CC know best.  But if you don't have a catch tank and you do connect the crankcase breather to the breather pipe on the cam cover (assuming that's what you have) is there anywhere for the engine to breathe to?  Are you just pressurizing the inside of the cam cover?  This is fine until one day something let's go.  In which case could the oil vapour be forced out through the gasket and perhaps the bolt hole?

Just a theory.

Mine's an early one - an '09.

Fitting a catch tank is something I'd certainly consider if it's going to improve the reliability of the car. I certainly don't want oil spraying everywhere again!

After some quick googling though, it does seem the Zetec/Sigma engines are prone to leaking from the cam cover gasket.

Is the cam cover plastic?

On the standard engine ie 125 which I have it breathes back into the  throttle body. Yours may be the same if you have no plastic catch tank. I have been known to overfill with oil just a fraction *boxedin*  & then on occasion produce a puff of oil smoke as Steve M will tell you. 

Mine came with its own little metal bracket and I fitted it to the chassis rail on the left hand side just Inside the nose cone. From memory I had to dril out one of the existing rivets and used that as one hole and for the other I drilled a second hole next to it.  It does look a bit like a washer bottle but I think my actual washer bottle is different.  Had to cut two holes in the lid for both pipes to go in, and then cut the pipes to length so they don't go all the way to the bottom of the catch tank.  I'm out of the country at the moment but if you would like a picture or two at the end of the week let me know.

Mine is an ex academy car, without a heater, so the catch tank is on the bulkhead.  The supersports have it fitted in the nose cone area as described.  I can't see why you would want anything more complicated than the Caterham solution, it's very light :-)