Click here if you are having website access problems ×

New site: Priorities for fixes

Jonathan Kay

Thanks for all the improvements. I think my priorities are:

1. Paragraph spacing.
  2. Allowing links to be made either URL or text first. At present if you go URL first it only links to the first letter of the text.
  3. Easier navigation through the fora.
  4. Filtered searching.
  5. Supporting quotes.
  6. Allowing my client-side spelling checker to work. (OS X Safari.)

Jonathan

• Area Representative

I'd agree that the carriage return issue is at the top of the list. It qualifies as both important and urgent. Where ever the problem lies, it's an obvious failure which the developers need to fix at no further cost to The Club.

Their failure, their cost.

• Area Representative

The Search issue also concerns me, as I think it fails to meet/deliver acceptable standards.

Again, their failure, their cost in working to deliver a system which does work to an acceptable standard.
This probably requires a different Drupal module. If there are thousands of modules available, there should be one where the scope of the search is definable, where you can search for specific strings (such as "carraige return") and not get results such as "When I return to my carraige" which are clearly not what is sought.

• 1 month later...
  • Area Representative

I had planned to revisit this thread once the new site was a full three months old because "crowd-testing" will have made a thorough shake-down of the initial offering by then and the post-build check service an opportunity to attend to those areas requiring attention.

We are not quite at three months yet.

The fact that posts can't be deleted/closed by the OP, the lack of the quote facility not incorporating the actual post one's replying to rather than just a numerical link and the lack of the signature are some that particularly stick out that were available on the old forum.

I think fixing those would help a lot.

• 4 weeks later...

Making a conscious effort to use the forum a bit more.  Largely echoing what has been written above, the areas I'd like to see addressed are -

1. Ability to create a signature
  2. Quoting should include the original quote that is being referenced.  Would be nice f this was easily editable as some times you just want to pick out a sentence or paragraph rather than the whole post
  3. Resolving posts being repeated / lost when moving between pages
  4. SCAYT spill chequer to default to on rather than off
  5. 'Member since' to reflect BC join date rather than date of port to new platform (low priority)
  6. Re-establishment of some sort of posting stats so we can sort the posting whores from the lurkers *biglaugh*

Above assumes that progress is being made with searching and restoring links for the content that was ported over from the original BC site. 

I'm encouraged by the fact that we now seem to be discussing secondary functionality rather than really fundamental stuff - thanks to Shaun and co.

• 5 years later...

NB date.

Would anyone else like to share their list of priorities for work on the site?

We shouldn't expect any changes in the near future. The Club has a lot of other things to sort out.

No rants, moans, hindsight or expressions of dissatisfaction in this thread, please. Just constructive lists and suggestions.

Thanks to Shaun for all his work.

Jonathan

The Forum User Guide. Great initiative and now needs collating and turning into a Guide.

Discussion of searching, including my workaround.

Lots of recent discussion of Replying to a particular post. IMHO this needs to coordinated with implementing quoting.

Collating the Assembly Guides (including the wiring diagrams) and Owner's Manuals. This is down to me. Shaun's offered to serve them as soon as I can get them sorted. (Until then please ask for them by Private Mail to me including your email address and details of the Seven.)

Technical Wikis. IMHO this needs a new team of volunteers. The technical side is ready as Guides can now become Wikis.

Jonathan