Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Slow OP build up

Myles

Not sure if I've got a problem on my k or not.

It's wet-sump with Apollo. I run a SPA op gauge (digital, solid-state sensor)

The op seems to take longer and longer to reach full pressure on startup - tends to mumble around in single figures for 5-10 seconds (maybe) before finally climbing up to the normal 60psi region. No problems once running. The delay is between the engine catching and the pressure coming up - I disregard the pressure while cranking.

What could be causing that, then...? I've no easy way to test if the pressure reading is accurate - but as it performs as expected under way, I've no real reason to suspect it during start up.

Thanks - this year marks the return to 'regular' use of this car (the BEC Westie has had all of the fun for the last four/five years). I don't recall this being something of note in the past - and I'm semi-convinced it's getting worse (with the caveat that I'm well-versed in the 'if you think you've got a problem, you'll find one' situation..)

I put the one way valve in the air out line of the apollo. It didn't make any difference until I used a Unipart oil filter. After that I had no problem, with almost instant pressure build up even after a couple of weeks standing.

Op took around 8-secs to rise this morning after pushing the car into level ground (recent cold starts have been nose-up on my drive, which wouldn't help of course).

Coupla seconds quicker firing it up to come home tonight - so I guess it's probably fine. I'll change the oil and filter soon though and might try to source your preferred filter this time.