Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Oil smoke from exhaust curborough sprint

punch

Lots of oil smoke from exhaust at flagpole corner on reverse run, presume oil surge but did not happen every lap,only last one or two. Only saw one other car suffering same, mine has Apollo fitted , other car not. Any explanation why only ours..? Oil level on mine checked on max line before runs, presume no long term damage, engine running fine,will take car on long run to burn out oil from exhaust, any ideas how to prevent in future, has not happened on previous sprints this year, sump still with original foam and gasket,does Dave Andrews gasket mod stop this? Any comments appreciated. Philip MAtchwick.

Olly,

I would like say this is why my times were slower as the day progressed, but I have to put it down to to rubbish driving and trying to hard to at least break into 65's to feel you will eventually be catchable[:E

In regard to the oil smoke I presume it is oil in cam cover reaching breather pipe to inlet plenum rather than oil coming up past piston rings? as I'm fairly busy at this corner I have no idea if oil pressure is dropping, maybe Andy or James has better pheriperal vision or is less busy trying to get round the corner than me to answer this ? Hopefully Loton does not have any similar corners to reverse Flagpole.

Philip.

Is yours fitted with an Oil Catch tank or does it just root back to the inlet.

Most 7's tend to be modified so that the oil breather feeds into a seperate 1 litre catch tank rather than running back into the inlet.

Your engines design to use Petrol not oil so excess oil may actually lose you a few BHP.

When pushed hard you do get more oil vapour which normally drops out in the catch tank, normally just a 100ml or so depending on if the engine is over full.

rs2000, good photos i hope my oil smoke was not as bad as Jame's , looks like WW1 destroyer making smoke!! i presume it is battleship grey James 😬but on a serious note i think i will try catch tank for cam cover breather as oil level was spot on ( thanks for input Alan) and it hurts my pride to think my car could smoke like that 😳