Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Sierra diff - how much play is too much?

Myles

Following on from my Type 9 thread, I noticed that there seems to be 'quite a lot' of play/lash between the prop and the diff in my car. Haven't measured it objectively yet. Any guidelines for how much is too much? Couldn't find anything in the archives (maybe my search terms were pants....)?

There should be only the smallest amount off play in the diff ( 0.5mm) when holding the driveshafts at the inner most point and turning the diff input flange. Some of our favourite gearbox/diff rebuilders build them with far too much backlash IMO, with the view that this backlash will be taken up by expansion when hot and in use. My view is that the casing is cast aluminium and the diff is steel and that the casing will expand far more than the diff so any back lash will increase, hence why most diffs in our cars are very noisy after hard use.

I hate driving a seven with driveline backlash, feels horrible on light throttle .

Rob

Rob,

Are you talking about the amount of rotation in the prop between it just starting to engage power-on-to-power-off? I would hazard a guess that I've got maybe 5degrees of rotation (by the prop) between the two - this is the (nature of) play I'm concerned about.

It's much easier for me to check the play in my Westie prop/diff as the prop (BEC engine) is accessible in the engine bay - although it's a completely different diff (Freelander LSD), it will give me some kind of comparison. Back shortly!

Westie is much tighter but still has play. I would guesstimate (without jacking the Caterham back up again) that it might be as little as half as much as the Caterham. Or, to put it another way, the Cat has a lot more than the Westie...

Myles,

I am talking about the amount of rotation of the diff input flange the bit the prop fastens to. Ford specify 1/32" backlash. That is the amount the diff flange which is bolted to the pinion moves within the crown wheel. Other words virtually nothing.

Mine definitely moves more than that then! It has done 45k - but that shouldn't trouble it. I think I might have under estimated the weep of oil from the seals over time - I've never seen as much as a drop on a driveway over the years but there's always some near the driveshaft seals.

Assuming it is goosed (it's not, but I'm not planning on rebuilding the car until at least this winter), is it 'just' a new crown wheel and pinions? Open diff, not LSD.