Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Vernier pulley question

stuart147

I have booked my 1.6 K Series Caterham in to have the cam belt changed. I know the mechanics quite well having had my car M.O.T'd with them for the last 5 years. They have given me a reasonable price for the work including changing the water pump at the same time. However, they then went on to say that if the vernier pulleys have worn then they will have to be changed as well. Obviously this sends the cost soaring. I had the pulleys fitted as part of an upgrade carried out by Dave Andrews in June 2009. The car has covered 20000 miles mainly touring and blatting since then. What is the life expectancy of these pulleys? Can I expect to have to replace them?

Stuart

I fitted Piper alloy (red) verniers to my old 1.8K SS-R in 2004. When I next saw them in 2009, after about 22k miles, I was horrified by the amount of wear - notably very rounded teeth. They were replaced. I read somewhere that the earlier alloy pulleys were not hard anodised, and that this had contributed to the wear. So, I guess it depends how old, and what type, your pulleys are. Sounds like you need to call Oily for advice.

JV

You can take teh top/front of the cambelt cover off by undoing 4 or 5 x 8mm bolts (not the 10mm one lower down - the cover has a slot at that point and can be pulled off).

rounding of the camwheel teeth is pretty obvius, but if not, then post a decently-lit pic up for BC comment!

I just had mine replaced as a precautionary measure, a bit of rounding on the edges of the teeth. I'd be a bit surprised if the belt could actually slip but due to the cost of an engine rebuild if it ever did slip it made sense to go with the recommendation and have new ones fitted.

Quoting stuart147: 
Thanks for the replies so far. I will get a photo posted on here tomorrow of the pulley's.I have just removed the cover and they have "only 3 pinch bolts" . Thanks oily. This could be better news.

Stuart

Pictures of the pulleys:

Picture 1

Picture 2

Stu

Stuart147's IT support 😬

They look more than fine - I can't see any wear through the anodising to the metal below.

When they wear they normally:

o wear away the anodised colouring over a wide area

o leave a noticeable 'lip' between where the tooth is rounded and where the belt doesn't touch the tooth (as the wheel is slightly wider than the belt).

It would help if you took a picture of the teeth other than from the front.

I'd link to pictures of my worn ones (these were from the original batch of three-leg pulleys in around 2004) - but my site has had a few pages defaced and I need to reload it. Anyway, my belts were not covered and I did a lot of touring in dusty/gritty conditions. You could feel/see a small lip at the front of the teeth (my belt stopped a mm or two short of the front edge) and the teeth under the belt were silver and slightly rounded.

Upshot was that my belt eventually slipped and this and/or the two attempts to bump-start it before we spotted the problem broke all my valves. ☹️

Good news is that while waiting for the engine to be fixed, I bought my Westie BEC and met my partner 😬

My belts are still uncovered, but the Caterham only does a few commuting miles at the moment, so doesn't overly concern me.

IMHO, those teeth don't appear to be worn at all. Looking along the length of the teeth in your second pic, I can't detect any deterioration, and each peak and valley looks perfect. The teeth of the belt sit squarely, and the width appears to match the pulley exactly. No doubt Oily will give the definitive diagnosis shortly. (I note that your MOT chap said "if the verniers are worn...")

JV

Edited by - John Vine on 1 Aug 2014 16:32:06