Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Rear exit exhaust

evotell

Original 1.4K was a rear exit system.

French K-series 7s ran a rear exit exhaust.

Included an extra rear silencer (for homologation purposes) which French 7-eners referred to as the "marmite" (heavy cooking pot).

Looks like this Marmite. Makes exhaust very quiet.

Lots of French 7-eners remove the marmite to save weight (replace with short straight tube AFAIK).

Rear exit exhausts seem to have a different silencer:

Rear exit K-series silencer

If you used the Caterham parts I expect it's just a matter of bolting on the relevant parts (other than the straight tube in place of marmite).

The silencer is different for a rear exit, the bent on the side exit is welded on the silencer where the rear exit has a short straight tube. The part you refer to is the tube going the rear silencer but it's not complete, there is also a straight rear pipe to replace the rear silencer.

Quoting evotell: 
Does anybody have any pictures of a 1.4 with the rear exit exhaust or know of a used one lying around. Cant see any thing on CC website other than for the French model.

You wouldn't want the original system. It was extraordinarily convoluted to keep everything internal: http://www.pistonheads.com/pics/news/16307/1991-K-Series-L.jpg.

"French" silencer and connector pipe with a straight final pipe would be fine. Rear view of this arrangement here.

http://www.automobile-sportive.com/guide/caterham/super7/caterham-seven1600-ar.jpg

Side and rear view of my old car with the "marmite" here: My old car

Edited by - MacP on 19 Jul 2014 21:02:52