Click here if you are having website access problems ×

VX Cooling System Submarine Pipe

I've dropped a mail to Phil to find out one way or the other, I know there are two types, one with 2 conning tower type outlets, one with 3, , but cannot work out what all the outlets are actually for clearly one connects to the bottom of the header tank, but the others.....

Doh..........Thanks Roger, as I have no heater and presuming the back of the head will be sealed thus when fitting DTH throttle bodies I will need a submarine with only the one connection to the expansion tank then. Simples.......

In my experience, it's worthwhile using the rear to head connection. Not essential, I ran without for a period, but worthwhile to increase the flow round the head

M22 x 1.5 thread IIRC

Edited by - ECR on 26 Jun 2014 13:17:14

Edited by - ECR on 26 Jun 2014 17:11:50

Not on mine *confused*

I assume you're using the manifold with a feed at the lower front. It's blanked off with a plate on my set up. I guess that it has a similar function to the rear connection.

FWIW, below an investigation of waterflow through the head.

Definitions:

E = outlet from rear of head

B = upper hole nearside of cylinder head (thermostat block)

A = lower hole nearside of cylinder head (thermostat block)

C = upper hole offside of cylinder head

D = lower hole offside of cylinder head

When the engine is cold and the thermostat is closed water cannot flow from B to the radiator. Instead it is diverted from B through the upper head gallery to A. This keeps a flow of water around the head cavity (but does not allow it to be cooled through the radiator). This warms up the engine more quickly. When the thermostat opens the flow of water from B to A is closed off and B then flows through the radiator, cooling the supply.

Water poured in at E exits at A and D (lower gallery)

Water poured in at B exits at C (upper gallery)

C and D are connected via a tiny bleed channel in the inlet manifold gasket

Thanks everyone.

Hmmmmm, but with DTH throttle bodies, there isn't any manifold a such is there, or is there provision in the Jenvey casting? Wish I had one to look at...lol, I'll talk it through with the builder methinks.

I appreciate that my experience is based on the Jenveys for k-series, but I do recall that Oily tapped through the front mount (flange - or manifold, if you will) to get to the coolant feed that drains into my expansion tank.

Hi Alan, I use the tapping on the DTH I can send some pics, could possibly sort a submarine out, but wouldn't have the lip too keep the pipes on just plain tube. Have found the engine stands if you are still in need, email me for any pics you need. I have altered the expansion tank area quite a lot though.

Quoting Tazio77: 
I've dropped a mail to Phil to find out one way or the other, I know there are two types, one with 2 conning tower type outlets, one with 3, , but cannot work out what all the outlets are actually for clearly one connects to the bottom of the header tank, but the others.....

There are 3 types; the Vx Challenge variant only has a single conning tower, going to the bottom of the header tank.

Edited by - keybaud on 27 Jun 2014 18:14:55

*arrowup*I'm fairly sure that's what I've got (having a VX Challenge 7) but I'm not near garage to check.

I bought my silicon set (blue) from CC a few years ago now, and I think the only pipe the set didn't include was the small pipe from the top of the coolant tank. This is still a black rubber one on mine.

Keybaud,

Thanks for clarifying that about the VX Racer, it's missing out of the existing Caterham Parts List but it's good to know.