Click here if you are having website access problems ×

1x Fabulous BMW Boxer and R1100S BoxerCup factory replica (motorsport colours) 14,000miles (R1150GS now sold)

SUPERLIGHT91

*** BMW GS1150 SE here is now sold .... ***

(still pricing up the BoxerCup bike as its in for its annual service and MOT until next week, but likewise that is £5,995 with all the carbon trim options, and factory luggage, or £5600 for the standard bike with its original black plastic trim and optional luggage removed. BMWBoxerCupSE

BMW dealerships tell me there were about 200 Boxercups and less than 100 25th Aniversary GS's supplied to the UK - so they are quite rare and unlikely to see many others on the road compared to other models. Both were very pretty (for BMW Boxers) and stand out compared to the standard models, and BMW put all the options on them to use up the parts as they were both 'final edition' bikes from the last year they manufactured them.

Link to photos and spec. later, but basically the GS it is this bike - (the rare 'special edition' white/blue 1150GS from 2005)BMW R1150GSA SE 25th except it has the even rarer - colour-coded BMW 'Sytem' rear Luggage (with keys matched to the ignition), the correct white & blue Bagster tank cover and tank bag. Has all the usual Adventure spec parts, plus factory fitted BMW fog lights and a Xenon HID headlight upgrade - so the lighting is brilliant. light New Metzler Tourance tyres this spring, and full brake service this year with new discs and pads. Fully stamped up BMW service history (with this years service & MOT freshly completed last month), all MOTs and service paperwork, two keys, two former keepers, HPI clear and absolutely immaculate condition throughout.

I am only considering selling so I can source an BMW HP2 Sport Boxer I've always wanted or an '80s Ducati 900SS Mike Hailwood Replica I would also like, otherwise its £5995 cash to club members, which is a sound buy and investment for the special edition GS (with less than 100 originally supplied by BMW in the UK) - Moreover the 1150GS its the last proper ruged big GS Enduro made (like the pair used by Charley and Ewan on the "Long Way Round", with spoked wheels, long range tanks (360miles!) and not much plastic compared to the later 1200GS.

Edited by - Superlight91 on 2 Jul 2014 16:16:20

Edited by - Superlight91 on 3 Jul 2014 17:33:22

BTW - as another club member recently pointed out to me the SE was BMW's "25th Aniversary of the GS" special - too good to use really, but so rugged and reliable it would be a shame not too (and there's plenty of standard 1150 adventures about for parts well into the future, although they rarely fail compared to the later bikes that weren't made in Germany anymore after 2007)

I always loved the big chunky adventure GS after Charlie and Ewan chose silver ones to do the first "Long Way Round" series. They did the "Long Way Down" on the later 1200GS, but this was much more plasticy and a bit less ruged (lighter though), and I have a friend with the later one which has cambus wiring and is a bit too complex IMO to take around the world - the 1150GS was the last true 'analogue' big enduro with outstanding build quality built to last its the Land Rover Defender of the adventure bike world for sure.

• Leadership Team

The best place to advertise it could be UKGSer.com, it's probably the most popular forum for all things GS. You'd need to subscribe to advertise (IIRC £12) but if it gets a sale it'll be worth the small expense. I know of 3 BC'ers already on there, there might be more!

Stu.

Now that my new Superlight is arriving, I might have a complete change of direction and sell both my BMWs in case anyone is of interest (both are limited run UK bikes):

- 2005 BMW GS Adventure SE Limited edition Blue & White bike (1 of 90) 27,400 miles FSH BMW R1150GSA SE

- 2004 BMW R1100S BoxerCup Limited edition motorsport colours (1 of 200) 14,000 miles

BMW BoxerCup SE

Both are twin spark air/oil cooled pre-can-bus 'analogue' bikes (with Motronic engine management), and were the last Boxer BMWs I was interested in and German made & built to last (unlike some of their later water-cooled bikes). Future collectors pieces or just lovely to ride on an open road (motorcycling's equivalent of a seven in many ways - ie not the latest/fastest vehicles at motorway speeds, (at just 85hp and 100hp respectively), but some of the most enjoyable I've experienced on sweeping A-roads and very capable tourers - as i have the BMW luggage systems for both)

Hi,

what seat height does your BMW GS have?

I was considering one of these but opted for an 07 GS650 Dakar instead as I was worried my puny 29" inside leg wouldn't reach the ground! I also have to reverse my bike up a small ramp to park it next to the 7 in my garage.

Having said that, I was looking at a 1200 GS the other day and thought the seat was actually lower than mine!

Lovely looking bike by the way.

Bruce.

29" inside leg is not so puny - however I'll be honest and say I'm 5'11 with about a 32"-33" inside leg and both bikes are tall, but just right for me - I'd say anyone under 5'10 would feel on tiptoes compared to other bikes.

If you had the Dakar GS you will find that is the tallest 650 they made. BMW do lower seat options for the 1150GS but that would involve a new seat and you'd not use the nice SE blue and grey one the bike came with.

Both my bikes are tall for differnt reasons;

a) the GS for ground and sump clearance offroad, and

b) the BC had its suspension lifted as a factory bike to achieve a greater lean-angles on tracks (so the boxer cylinder heads didn't touch the ground cornering)

Thanks for the info *thumbup*

I'm 5'8 😔 I'm 55 and took my bike test when I was 17 but don't really do road bikes. I ride a pre 65 Tiger Cub at Club trials and am building a diesel Enfield.

However, I really enjoy cruising to work around the back lanes on my GS. It's a bit of an adventure (like driving the 7) *biggrin*

Probably couldn't get that one past the missus! (as much as I'd love to).

Thanks Brucey and the diesel Enfield always sounds and interesting project, and like my Honda 50-4 scooter will probably return about 150mpg!

Nice to hear you enjoy your GS and I must admit I prefer that pace of motorcycling to anything modern/super-sporty. and have been quite impressed how easy the 1150GSA is to ride considering its size. They might not be the prettiest bikes in the world (I mean how many other motorcycles come with a 'beak') but they certainly do the job very well indeed. Later 1200 GS got quite a bit lighter, but only by the edition of much more plastic and a complex canbus wiring system - I always said I would always stick with the 'metal' ananlogue version that was built to last and got Charlie and Ewan around the world on their trip (which was made it famous).

Interestingly the R1100S is effectively tuned GS mechanicals in a sportier-frame - and BMW hosted a 1-make race series for the bikes alongside the PorscheCup of all things, between 2002 and 2004. Randy Mamola won most of the series and it spawned a coupe of BMW road-going limited editions. Whereas the GS is 85hp and chugs along very nicely the BCis the same motor factory tuned to nearer 100hp and a bit more 'sporty'. Both bikes work very well in their respective niches, and BMW could have made them even faster, but at the time erred on the side of conservatism to make them last. Nott long before the 2000s BMW used to believe "no motorcycle ever needs more than 100hp". I still vouch this is generally true on road - and its a shame in some ways they have jacked-in that idea, and now out-Japanese'd the Japanese and produced the 180hp S1000RR superbike now. How time have changed. I am sure the latest GS's are wonderful with the LED lights and increased HP post-water-cooling, but they don't quite fit the BMW mould to me anymore. It goes without saying I prefer the older BMWs and Im sure they will be considered 'modern clasiscs' anytime soon.

Sure, ill post some more pictures over the next few days.

BoxerCup has the following extras over standard (and all standard parts included too)

Carbon rear hugger

Carbon heel guards

Carbon front indicator body panels

Carbon instrument console

Carbon front alternator belt cover

(Carbon cylinder covers and belly pan were standard on these bikes)

Anodised billet alloy tail tidy (German made)

taller dark touring screen

Stainless Laser exhaust Y-pipe de-cat (Laser tuned under-seat pipes were factory fit on this bike, and they sound lovely with the tuned boxer motor without being too loud)

Stainless oil cooler mesh panels

Full tool kit complete with wheel wrench

1x stainless front paddock stand for front wheel removal

2x German made rear paddock stands (one for each end of your journey so it can always be stored on a centre stand as the carbon belly pan only allows for a side stand on this model

Spare rear wheel and tyre in matching blue to front wheel (as white rear isn't practical for touring)

Braided Maguara brake lines, new battery and rear tyre.

As you will appreciate quite a lot of kit on one of these.

(Personal Plate [80X CP] boxer-cup is extra, as that could quite happily go on one of my period scooters as a 1950s plate, and I can restore to original '04 plate)

Edited by - SUPERLIGHT91 on 2 Jul 2014 22:48:43

Luggage on both my bikes is the qui k release BMW 'System' luggage with locks matched to ignition key in each case

I also have the correct colour matched Bagster tank covers for each bike, but only one bagster tank bag in blue leather, so the first bike to sell complete gets the tank bag.

Yes I would love an 81-85 Ducati Hailwood replica - such an iconic image the late 70s TT Castrol bike. I have the y2k Ducati MH900 special but its nothing like the original Hailwood bike; just a tribute to MH in name, and more of a themed 70s cafe racer as Ducati special for the new millenium (they built 2000). Apparently only about 30 official UK supplied bikes about and most of the 2000 are in Europe, Japan and the US and probably not many of them are actually on the road. DucatiMH900E

I have seen a couple of really good Sheen Suzuki replicas for sale previously, but no official factory specials unlike the Hailwood and Paul Smart Ducatis and the Mamola BMW BoxerCup.

I'd be terrified on board a Panigale - its a world-beating model 200hp out of a 1.0 V-twin and full marks to Ducati for getting there first! - As I discussed earlier my phylosophy is "noone needs more than 100hp on 2 wheels on the road" - even that is '7' fast in most instances - 200hp, well lets just say current MotoGP bikes are pushing 230-40hp, so its not far off that, and it amazes me anyone can do a 5 day Direct Access course and jump straight on a 200mph machine on day 6. Nice bit of kit to look at though, although the first Ducati without a handmade Trellis Reynolds 531 frame - so that put me off initially too. As in BMW circles the S1000RR superbike isn't really a BMW to the purists, the Panigale is one step too far from the last Ducati superbike - but that's progress, global market demand, and keeping one step ahead of the competition for you.

• Leadership Team

Plus from the future-classic viewpoint it's hard to see the Panigale cutting it, fantastic bike but very focussed around the latest technology .... which will quickly be superseded as new models are developed to replace it. IMHO an 851/888/916 would probably be a better long-term investment *tongue*

A dealer local to us has an 888 in storage, bought brand new by a customer and has never turned a wheel. On one hand what a waste, on the other, foresight is wonderful!

Stu.

Absolutely Stu - and I am faced with the option currently of a an '81 MH900R for £12k with a few 000miles on it, or £20k for a brand new crated one that has never turned a wheel since the early '80s

As you say: in some ways thats sad but in other ways that's and epic find, and I think I would probably deviate to the lightly used one like I did with my MH900E Ducati - which has been great and even goes on the road every other year just to appreciate it fully for a few miles.

I wonder if the BMW BoxerCUP bike is out there anywhere still unused - I've owned mine 8 years and its too good not to use. Mind you that would be another nice find in 10 years at any price as they are great bike just starting to climb in value again (like any good Special Edition Caterham over time - like the mk.1 Superlights, and the legendary JPE for example).

... and yes 851, 888, 916/996/998 are all dead-cert's in the 'classic' Ducati arena. I always fancied the 999 that followed, but can see why it was such a commercial flop compared to what came before (the former represent the glory days of modern Ducatis after quite a long break from the '70s bevel drive like Hailwoods TT winning 900)

• Leadership Team

But then again, a Panigale Senna could be tempting ...

http://www.ducati.com/cms-web/fs//entities/news/SBK-1199S-Senna_Standard-02_634x357.png/SBK-1199S-Senna_Standard-02_634x357_634x357.png

I didn't even know they were doing a Senna SE in the Panigale - now there is a bike to put away for 20 years for your pension pot epic. I remember the 916 Senna edition and its lovely to see the theme being continued - absolutely superb.

Good luck with the sale Mat, anyone who purchases these bikes can be rest assured they will be mint. I have seen some of the guys 7's *wavey*

• Leadership Team

Quoting SUPERLIGHT91: 
I didn't even know they were doing a Senna SE in the Panigale - now there is a bike to put away for 20 years for your pension pot epic. I remember the 916 Senna edition and its lovely to see the theme being continued - absolutely superb.
They're only making 161, and only for sale in Brazil.

Stu.