Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Leaking Rocker cover gasket

abbot

Done a fair few miles in my 7 and never had much trouble from th engine.

Car has been off th eroad for a few weeks waiting for me to fix awheel bearing problem. Got that sorted and went fro a fgreat blat.

Got back to find the left side of the engine covered in oil. I jet washed the engine and then ran her upto see if I could see where the leek was from.

What I noticed first was the cap head bolt securing th erocker cover was sat proud by a few mm. Of course that was followed by oil seeping from the gasket.

All tightened up now and problem solved but caant work out why it shouk suddenly loosen.

When I used to have a crossflow engined car, the cork gasket under the rocker cover compressed over time, and I used to just check the tightness of the bolts every few months.

Duncan

and if over tightened can lead to the cork gasket failing ☹️

luckily when I did it I had a few friends who were will to run to a motor factors for a new gasket and oil to repair in a layby *biggrin*

Remember - if you have the original rolled/pressed plate rocker cover then use cork gastet, if using an aluminium rocker cover then use the card gasket as the sharper edges and narrower sealing are cut thru the cork ones.

(I am assuming from what has been said that this is for a x-flow engine).

Dave.

Use the cardboard gaskets which you can get from Burtons - much easier and more effective than cork.

Post reminds me of a pal of mine who worked for a parts delivery firm; he put a package on the 'returns' shelf in the depot marked 'contents leek'. Nobody took any notice until there was an awful smell of onions a few days later!

Terry