Click here if you are having website access problems ×

K Series flywheel tooth pattern

Mikey UC

I bought a flywheel of blatchat a few years ago (maybe a bit more actually) it was a lightened one but not the very light R500.

Does anyone know if it has the 36-2 tooth pattern, or did Caterham ever change the tooth pattern on their flywheels.

I need to check it will work with my Omex ignition unit.

Unfortunately my one is now installed so I can’t check it easily.

I think the original early 1.4s were the 36-2 pattern as I had one on my car that was transferred to a 1.8 engine during a transplant. But factory flywheel should be 36-4, of which there are two types with slightly different tooth patterns.

If it is installed, you could remove the starter motor, paint mark the flywheel, rotate the crank by hand and map out the gaps and then work it out from there.

Edit: Ah, I do remember posting this before, so I've just found it. If you look at page 25 of the DTA manual, it displays the three modes and configurations:

http://www.dtafast.co.uk/Downloads/Manuals/S%20Series%20Manual.pdf

Edited by - Mankee on 16 May 2014 10:10:03

• Leadership Team

36-2 (1400) and 36-4 (1600 & 1800) are both Rover patterns intended to work with Rover (MEMS) engine management. If you use an aftermarket ECU (eg. Emerald) it is "usually" possible to configure the pattern within the ECU, ie. a 36-2 (1400) flywheel will work fine on a 1600/1800 engine if the ECU is configured accordingly. I can't comment about what you can do with the Omex unit though.

Stu.

Many thanks

Looks like I will be peering in through the starter motor hole or possibly the uncovered bit by the crank sensor and counting teeth.

The Omex unit should be able to be remapped (fingers crossed), unfortunately I think I just specified it to be mapped to a 1.8 K series.

• Leadership Team

The "mapping" will be the same, it's the input information that the ECU reads that needs to be configured differently. Only difference might be if your injectors are grouped or sequential which might be affected by the flywheel input, or rather what the Omex is able to read.

Stu.