Click here if you are having website access problems ×

Ford spring compressor 12-007 for brake calipers

Nick Woods

My handbrake self-adjuster on the left rear caliper isnt working - the actuation lever to which the cable attaches can be pulled right down to the caliper but the pads dont touch the disk.

So, with help from OBNS ( *wavey* ) we intend to take the caliper off and strip down the self adjuster so see if we can fix it.

However, section 7 of the Haynes manual here says

Note: Complete dismantling of the rear caliper should not be attempted unless Ford spring compressor (tool No 12-007) is available, or unless the problems likely to arise in the absence of the tool are understood.

The problem is that I cant find a 12-007 anywhere so was wondering if anyone knows where I can get one. Please note that this is not the caliper windback tool, its a special spring compressor for the handbrake self-adjuster *wink*

Edited by - Nick Woods on 20 Apr 2014 13:48:03

Thats whats supposed to happen, and AFAIK we are taking about the same adjuster, but sometimes it doesnt seem to work . Theres a diagram here showing what the internals are like, and some background info here :

The actual adjustment for wear on the brake pads is taken up by the group (21). The piston and seals marked as (19) rotate about the shaft (21). As the pads wear the rod is rotated slightly and becomes longer - this compensates for the thinner brake pad by moving the brake piston out

Edited by - Nick Woods on 20 Apr 2014 14:05:29

Hi,

My Haynes Manual for Sierra 2.3 and 2.8 says the following:-

14 "To dismantle the caliper further it is necessary to have a tool capable of compressing the return spring. The Ford tool for this job (tool number 12-007) appears to be an adjuster nut reduced in diameter and fitted with a handle. However, it is possible to utilise the actual adjuster nut on the caliper (photo) or a suitable piece of tubing positioned over the threaded pushrod."

Note:- I've not actually done this job so am not sure how fiddly it would be.

Regards

Ian

• Support Team

I used a deep socket and a g-clamp. Not that hard to do.

You do need some right angled circlip pliers with a long reach to remove the circlip once the spring is compressed.

SM25T - I think we are talking about the same thing *biggrin* - the self adjuster holds the piston in position and 'takes up the slack' as the pads wear so that the handbrake cable doesnt need to be adjusted once its been initially set.

Except that mine doesnt appear to be doing that, the lever to which the handbrake caliper attaches can move all the way over without the pad biting on the disc, so I have no handbrake on the left-hand side. I can also see a small gap between the inner pad and disc on that side, which adds to my suspicion that its not working and needs a strip down to ascertain why. Having read the Haynes manual I've realised that it might be tricky without the correct tools.

Ian - thanks for that, it confirms what I already thought

c7trp - thanks even more, that sounds like a solution *thumbup*