Click here if you are having website access problems ×

spare wheel carrier adjustment

brucehc

Good evening

I have a '98 Roadsport still sporting the spare wheel carrier. The car was born with 14" wheels, and those fit nicely on the back - resting on the carrier whilst bolted to the centre of the rear.

But I now run 13" wheels which means that the spare isn't supported by the carrier.

Is there a standard method of propping the spare wheel in the carrier?

I think I've read about using brute force to bend it up, but am loath to drougHt as in due course will make it removable.

Thanks for advice

Bruce

Just as an aside I had the opposite problem; I changed the spare tyre for one of the same kind, same size, wouldn't even expect it to be bigger as the old one was unused it was just ten years old and hard as nails. Couldn't understand why the new one didn't fit. Kwik fit had blown it up to 35psi for me! Let it back down to 20 and all was well again.

Caterhams method is the brute force bend it into position. A few years after they did that to mine it peeled off the rear chassis rail taking 'bites' out of it. The bending may or not have contributed to the failure.

I would suggest you use the more rigid closed cell pipe lagging often used by aircon installers and available from plumbers merchants.

• Area Representative

I've also just changed from 14" to 13" wheels. I got a metre of 72mm diameter pipe lagging from B&Q for £2.50. Did the job a treat.

Russ